Guitar to uke chord converstion chart/gizmo!

Brido

Reaction score
I have a great book of jazz standards that has guitar chords annotated on the music.

I know i can slowly convert guitar chords (alpha numeric) to Uke chords to the right key, but is there a conversion ruler or circle or chart that i can download to make the job quicker and easier please?

Thanks

I made this chord wheel - works for me. It's PDF with two sizes in the file, small and large.

You don't have to transpose (convert) them. Neither is a transposing instrument. Just read them as they are.

You don't have to transpose (convert) them. Neither is a transposing instrument. Just read them as they are.

Yeah, I'm kind of confused about the original question too.

If the chart has a guitar chord of C, just play a C chord on the uke. No muss, no fuss.

Ignore any chord diagrams and just read the chord names.

JJ

It seems to me the problem is that the written guitar chord on the sheet music would be in the wrong key for the music, should I play it on my uke. Since posting this and having a look around and received personal emails, I need to move the chords five frets up (?) then I will have the correct chord. (Am I right?)
Today I am making the chord wheel as I think this is the answer. One person suggested that this was the relationship:
GUITAR A B C D E F G
UKE D E F G A B C

Though the wheel is not finished yet I have just played with it and it looks as though this will do the job.

Unless I have got it wrong I would like to thank you for your help.
Brido

Last edited:
Sorry i cant seem to get the alignment correct. :(I have tried editing it. I hope you get what I have tried to say. :)

Today I am making the chord wheel as I think this is the answer. One person suggested that this was the relationship:
GUITAR A B C D E F G
UKE D E F G A B C
See my post above for the link. That's what my chord transposition wheel is for. You can put one ring on A and the other on D and Bob's your uncle! All the rest line up. But you can also use it to change keys. Say a song is in C and you want it in F, just align the outer ring's C with the inner ring's F and you can see how the C key's chords translate into F.

So I hsve one already made - all you need to do is print it on cardstock, cut it out, fasten the inner wheel over the outer and you have one!

It's also a circle of fourths/fifths wheel for those of you who understand that aspect of music.

It seems to me the problem is that the written guitar chord on the sheet music would be in the wrong key for the music, should I play it on my uke. Since posting this and having a look around and received personal emails, I need to move the chords five frets up (?) then I will have the correct chord. (Am I right?)

You're wrong and you're right at the same time. :)

Jazz chords are typically written in the correct key for the song. When I say "written," I'm talking about the actual name of the chord. Cmaj7 or G7(b9) or whatever. That is the same name, no matter what instrument you decide to play the chord on--guitar, uke, piano, Chapman Stick, accordion, xylophone, etc.

So if you see the chord "Cmaj7" you would play a Cmaj7 on your uke (0002 is one possible way). No transposing is required. You do not need to change that chord to any other chord. It's still a Cmaj7 chord.

Now, because a guitar has more strings, and since those strings are tuned differently, the way you play that chord is going to be completely different. So if you see any additional notation on your sheet music that tells you how to play the chord (such as a chord diagram box, or written tablature), then that is for guitar only and should be completely ignored by you, since you are not playing guitar.

It's true that there is a pitch relationship between guitar and uke. That might tempt you to try to get the ukulele chord positions by taking top four strings of a guitar chord diagram and moving it down several frets. I would recommend against this! For one, unless the chord diagram is entirely at the fifth fret or higher, you simply cannot move it down far enough. Two, you'll be missing two strings anyway, and those strings might have some important notes that you shouldn't get rid of. That is, the top four strings of a jazzy guitar chord might not effectively convey the entire chord, in the way that a proper ukulele version of the chord would.

The solution is to use a good chart of chord diagrams that is designed specifically for the ukulele. A lot of chord charts you find on the internet tend to have basic chords only. The Mel Bay ukulele chord book is nice. An there have been some interactive websites mentioned here already that will show you tons of crazy chords. Alternatively, you can learn a tiny bit of music theory and just figure out how to play all these chords on your own.

To summarize: Ignore the guitar chord diagram. Refer just to the chord name. Ignore the guitar chord diagram. If you don't now how to play the chord, look it up in a ukulele-specific reference. Ignore the guitar chord diagram.

Did I mention that you should ignore the guitar chord diagram? :)

JJ

JJ nailed it - you are confusing chord "shapes" with actual chords. The key and chord does not change.

So your "Guitar A = Uke D" chart is wrong - an A is an A, always. However, if you were to make a guitar A shape on the uke, you would be making a D chord.

But that way lies madness. It's a quick way to teach yourself how to make chords ("I need a Bb on my uke... ok, that's my guitar F shape..."), but it'll slow you down in the long run. You need to start to "think uke" - C = 0003, A = 2220,... etc. Much faster and less work than the "fake shape transition" method.

I generally play uke in three different tunings (C, G, g 5ths), tenor guitar in two different tunings (G 4ths, C 5ths), Mandolin in g 5ths, guitar in G, and Octave mando in G 5ths - occasionally 2-3 of these combos all in the same night.

Trust me, translating what you are playing to another instrument first is quick in the beginning to learn the new chords, but it REALLY slows you down later. Think uke.

Last edited:
UJJ that seems right when i try to get my head around it. As I do not read music i have a piano player calling around in the next few days so I will try it out.

The wheel works well for transposing... if it is really what I want.

Thanks to you all for helping me.

Aloha Brido,
Yup, Chords are the same in any instrument you play, transposing charts or wheel is for key changes...
I hope this helps and does not confuse you any more. "Keep vibrating those strings" Uke On!!! MM Stan...

Top Bottom