Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about amp cords....

Default Tell me about amp cords....

I'm in the market for a cord to plug my K-Wave into an amp. I don't have an amp yet, but feel like I should have a cord just in case....

Are some brands or types better than others? What features should I be looking for? I know they come in different lengths, but don't know which would work best for me. I don't "play out", so I don't feel as if I need a lot of extra length. Top-of-the-line, big buck options wouldn't interest me.

Just feeling like I'd like to have a cord in the case, just to be ready if the situation presents itself. Any advice?
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

I wish the one I bought had a right angle bend at the uke end.

Paul's point is a good one, especially if you use an instrument stand, a right angle connector is the only way to go.
    As far as brands, I tend to grab cords from Radio Shack because there is one almost everywhere in the U.S. . I have never bought a high end instrument cable. People say that they can hear a difference but the cheap streak in me just won't allow me to pay that much for wire.

Maybe someone who has bought a high end instrument cable will chime in here with an opinion.
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Radio Shack is a good idea.... Not sure I would have thought of that one.

Right angle connector....check! Anything else I should look for? And any suggestions about cable length?
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Don't buy the cheapest one in the store either. I bought one for like $5.99, got home, it buzzed. Took it back, the shopkeeper was very nice, he tried it on an amp in the store, it still buzzed. He offered me a new one. I thought "What was I thinking?" and asked him to upgrade me to a $9.99 cord, I paid the difference. I don't think the high end ones are necessary but the cheapest ones are probably junk.

I have done shootouts between cheap cables and more expensive ones (namely Monster cables) and there is a huge difference. The Monster cables let a much wider frequency response through...you get a much fuller sound than you get with the cheap cables. Plus, Monster has a lifetime warranty (no questions asked) so if a connector comes loose, the cable gets severed, etc., you can just bring it to a music store that sells Monster cables and trade it for a new one. They are expensive though but in my opinion, worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuprin View Post
    I have done shootouts between cheap cables and more expensive ones (namely Monster cables) and there is a huge difference. The Monster cables let a much wider frequency response through...you get a much fuller sound than you get with the cheap cables. Plus, Monster has a lifetime warranty (no questions asked) so if a connector comes loose, the cable gets severed, etc., you can just bring it to a music store that sells Monster cables and trade it for a new one. They are expensive though but in my opinion, worth it.
    monster cables are my favorite too, but I play guitar on in public a lot so I thought I should invest in a nice cable.. Ones that are low priced that I sound good to me for just home practice are Planet Waves brand cables. They have a lifetime warranty and all of them come with a little elastic band with a small hook so you can wind the cable up neatly and it won't come undone.. messy cables all over the place drive me nuts! They are priced around $20 for the shorter ones and they do have the option of a right angle.
    Koaloha Soprano Standard Kanile'a K-1 Concert Fender Nohea Tenor

$20 cable is plenty

Monster cables dude!

Go here http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsguca.html

Fantastic cords at reasonable prices.
    Kala KA-ASLAT - Worth CT
    Lanikai LQA-TCA - Worth CT
    Ohana CK-50GS - Worth BM
    Ohana CK-75GS - Worth BM
    1952 Harmony Soprano
    Luna TTN-MAH - Worth BT
    Eleuke FTCJ100 - Worth CT