Singing Harmony

Where are you with vocal harmony?

• I'm comfortable and sing it whenever it fits.

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • I can't do it at all, and am not interested in it.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
I don't sing much, by the harmony part is what's fun.

I played around with harmony parts more towards the end of last year. I did a doo wop version of a Christmas song. I think I'll do more doo wop with ukulele. Singing harmony on a video is a very good workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ViVkhcld34

This sucker has five-part harmony. Lead vocals with backing bass, baritone, and two tenor parts. I hope to do a few more this year.

My CDs are waiting for me when I get home. Oh man I can't wait. Great vids guys!

I was in a pro band for some years..we had a lot of harmony in the act..I don't have a great voice..but if I sung my parts clear and loud along with the other guys ..the overall harmony worked very good..the trick is to learn your part as well as you can, until in your head, it becomes the melody (we used to work them out on the piano) going up and down semitones were the hardest for me...Oh yes!and take every chance you get, to draw a deep breath in between vocals.

I was re-reading this thread this morning, and that comment struck me. As I recall, when I was a young lad and the chorus director would teach us our parts (which she worked out on the piano) my part BECAME the melody to me. I would sing that song in my part over and over until it just became the song in my head. That doesn't work for on-the-fly harmonizing, but it sure works for pre-rehearsed stuff, even if you are only 12.

Top Bottom