Koaloha vs. kanilea

No, I don't mean I have a problem getting them out. I do use a guitar string winder (as ashleychantel mentioned). My issue is that sometimes when I tighten the strings to tune them, the bridge pins have actually shot out across the room resulting in the string snapping up and slicing my hand. I have had it happen to me at least three times. Which means string changing for me has turned into an awful Jack in the Box moment where I'm terrified of tuning my A string for fear it will snap up and slice me again. I've never had that problem with any of my other ukes, only with the Kanile'a and its bridge pins. When I don't tighten a knot well enough on the Kamaka for example, the string just slides up and out, it doesn't violently snap at me.

But maybe it is just my uke/pins...

Is your Kanile'a very old? Perhaps the bridge plate is worn out (http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repair/acoustic-guitar/bridge-pin.php)?

i really love my Koaloha concert. it continues to surprise me, especially when i take it out and play it against other ukuleles out there. i feel like, as far as tone the Koaloha just sounds amazing. To my ears it has the most lush, complex and pleasing sound. Whenever i played it up against a Kamaka or Kanilea they both just sound dull and not as present, but this could also be due to the fact that they Kamaka and Kanilea have stock strongs, and from what i have read most peple do not like the stock Kamaka strings and put on Worth clears, which is what my Koaloha has on it. As far as fit and finish the Kamaka and Kanilea win head and shoulders above the Koaloha. No contest here, but that doesn't mean the Koaloha isnt bilt well, because it absolutely is, but i feel like it's a little more 'rough' when compared to the other two. I actually prefer the finish, feel and workmanship of the Koaloha though because in the guitar world i am a telecaster guy, and feel like the Koaloha is sort of the tele of the uke world; no flash, no bells and whistles, bare bones but when you hear it it will knock your socks off. nothing else sounds like it and like the tele, as simple as it is, it really is all you will ever need and less is definitely more.

when i initially bought my Koaloha concert i was a bit surprised at the poor finish of the nut and the set up was not great. the original owner said this is exactly how he had bought it, directly from the Koaloha factory when he was there 2 years ago and never did anything to it. The nut was a bit tall, with the grooves cut a bit deep and the extra was never filed down or finished, but after i had it set up it plays like butter.

also another thing to consider is Koalaha probably has the absolute best customer service out of all three hands down. thats not to say that Kamaka and Kanilea have poor customer service, but from what i have read on these forums Koaloha always gets the highest marks as far as warranty handling issuses (even if the current owner is not the original owner).

just my 2 cents...

It will always come down to your ear. For some reason I like the Kanile'a sound a lot. I would not recommend buying a top end ukulele such as you seek without being able to touch it and play it. Kanile'a does show a dealer, Bernunzio Uptown Music in Rochester NY and one in MA. See what they have.

i really love my Koaloha concert. it continues to surprise me, especially when i take it out and play it against other ukuleles out there. i feel like, as far as tone the Koaloha just sounds amazing. To my ears it has the most lush, complex and pleasing sound. Whenever i played it up against a Kamaka or Kanilea they both just sound dull and not as present, but this could also be due to the fact that they Kamaka and Kanilea have stock strongs, and from what i have read most peple do not like the stock Kamaka strings and put on Worth clears, which is what my Koaloha has on it.

My KoAloha Sceptre came with Worth Clears, AND a spare set - which have the KoAloha logo on the label. So they are the Stock Strings - at least, as of this summer.

And oh, man is it LUSH! I did compare it with Kamaka and Kanilea ukuleles at Ukulele Source, and kept going back to the Sceptre. (Of course, I liked - and my wife, and innocent bystander agreed - the Sceptre more than the Pineapple Sunday... my Number Two choice that day.

It simply proves that you really should play the instrument before you buy it, if at all possible.

And calling KoAloha with a question, and being put directly through to Brian, the shop manager, for the answer was a gas!

... -Kurt

If you are ever in allentown, or go up to that ukefest this saturday you can try my kanile'a

My KoAloha Sceptre came with Worth Clears, AND a spare set - which have the KoAloha logo on the label. So they are the Stock Strings - at least, as of this summer.

And oh, man is it LUSH! I did compare it with Kamaka and Kanilea ukuleles at Ukulele Source, and kept going back to the Sceptre. (Of course, I liked - and my wife, and innocent bystander agreed - the Sceptre more than the Pineapple Sunday... my Number Two choice that day.

It simply proves that you really should play the instrument before you buy it, if at all possible.

And calling KoAloha with a question, and being put directly through to Brian, the shop manager, for the answer was a gas!

... -Kurt

stock strings on Koaloha are Worth Clears. The ones you received with the Koaloha label are Worth Clears as well.

Unless things have changed at KoAloha since March when I had my factory tour, I don't think the stock strings are Worth, based on what Brian told me. I wanted to buy a set of their stock strings, but was told they didn'tt sell them. He did give me one of their unwound low-G strings and was told it was "Japanese fishing line", but didn't divulge the make.

Getting back to the OP. I also have a Kanile'a concert deluxe. Visually, the Kanile'a outdoes the KoAloha, IMO. The UV gloss, the curl and figuring of the wood, the highly coloured abalone fretboard dots...

Sound-wise, they are both so different I can't elevate one over the other. TheKoAloha is crisper and more "traditional" sounding. Perfect for old-time, Tin Pan Alley tunes. The Kanile'a is not as loud, but is richer and mellow (for koa), especially with KoAloha's low-G on it.

Last edited:
KoAloha and Kanilea are my favorite uke. I go to the KoAloha more often and think it has an almost electric sound to it. It also has a much thinner neck which I love. I recent got a KoAloha soprano and man is that one sweet. I would not hesitat in getting either one.

If I could only have one uke, it would be the KoAloha concert, without any hesitation. I have the Pikake and it is getting shinny spot on it and the freboard is darking from play. Love that uke!

Nope, I bought it new in 2008.
I bought my Kanile'a concert this year and unfortunately it has the same problem like you. So far I only changed the string set once, and got a little cut from A string.... I tied two knots on the new A string(which is Worth Clear) but it still escaped from the pin. Next time I will use a bandaid to hold the string, and hope it won't hurt my finger again.

You can also take the brass end from a metal guitar string and tie the end of the uke string around it. It works perfectly. That's what I do with my Kanilea tenor. The low-C breaks from time to time and I have to replace it. But wrapping around the iittle brass piece works perfectly.

Another vote for KoAloha.

I found KoAloha (and my Kamaka) to be superior in sound, resonation, and playability hands down! No contest!
I also dislike bridge pins but that is not the major issue for me.

Kanilea was a more woody sound, at least on the Satin models. They sound much better with Worth strings, I just don't love the wider fretboard. It make a good low-g folky strummer.

In My Humble Opinion, It depends on the Instrument. But sight unseen and sound unheard...Kamaka>[Kanilea=KoAloha]...I really like the long necks of the Kamakas...and they are more balanced then the KoAloha long necks...which seem heavy. Eyecandy for the price: Kanilea>Kamaka>KoAloha...KoAlohas are typically cheaper and the wood has less figuring and Kamakas have a premium. Cheapest price: KoAloha>Kanilea>Kamaka. Brightness<caveat it really depends...test drive before you buy>: KoAloha>[Kamaka=Kanilea] KoAloha are typically the brightest...and the others really depend on the instrument but Kamakas are very consistent imho...and Kanileas vary more...I bought mine K1TP and it was much brighter than a similar model with different wood...this is really subjective and depends on the future owner's ear.

My favorite instrument(s) ...Kamaka HF-2L+ ... followed by HF-3L...then HF-2L...then Kanilea K1-TP...then KoAloha...which is my low G rig...

I did some homework, bought a Koaloha longneck pineapple having never had a chance to play it and was totally awestruck when I got it! Love the sound! Love the look! I can totally feel the vib of the hands that built the uke.

Had to put in my 2 cents worth even though I can't offer a comparison to other K brands.

I agree with experimentaljon. My first Kanilea was a lemon. The intonation was unacceptable and it was very quiet. I bought another and though the intonation was better, it too was dull. I've since listened to comparison videos and come to the conclusion that, although the sound is pleasant, Kanileas are kinda' dead. They are beautiful to look at, though. My Koaloha has never disappointed me in any way. The finish isn't as beautiful as Kanilea but I can make it sound dark or bright, loud or soft. Couldn't do that with the Kanileas. I could beat the heck out of them and get very little sound. I've never owned a Kamaka, but have played a couple dozen. They're nice, but don't look nearly as good as the Kanileas and don't have the tonal capabilities of Koaloha.
IMO

Top Bottom