Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Concert - WOW!

Default Martin Concert - WOW!

Not long ago. I picked up a 1950s Martin style 1 Concert and I just couldn't be any more satisfied. I installed aquillas and I'm here to tell you that hard strumming is so loud that it actually hurts my ears. When playing fingerstyle, there's sustain like I've never heard before.

I've owned a few Asian Ukes......Kala, Cordoba, etc., and the Koa models had the best tone. Well, this old Martin mahogany has it all, plus some. I never did buy a K-brand Koa because I discovered that I could own an old Martin Concert for the same price as say a K1. I cannot say that my Martin sounds better than a new K-brand, but I just want to highly recommend an old Martin Concert to folks out there shopping. It took me a few months to find one, so be patient and you won't be sorry.

jazzbo

How are the tuners on your Martin? My Martin's tuners suck!! They are either really tight and barely move (and when they do, the pitch changes so much, that it is hard to get in tune) or they are too loose and can't support the tension of the strings...I put new Ping tuners on there thinking that the original ones were just too "old" but that didnt change anything.
    Your pal,
    ~Dustin~

Mookulele ~ Kala Travel Tenor "Kaleakani" ~ Mainland Slotted Mahogany "Paula" ~ Mainland Honeybee ~ 1960s Martin "Style 0" (family heirloom) ~ and a couple others...
    "Sometimes people try to stick labels on me, but I have kinda oily skin, so they just fall off."-SailorQwest
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
    - Facebook - Twitter - Come SUB me, baby!!!

Dustin, I can't speak for the Pings but my friction tuners was the same way when I got it. First, I removed then and cleaned them up, then I lightly sanded the friction washer since it was slippery with gunk. After reinstalling them and giving the new string enough time (2 weeks or so) to stretch, I can keep it in tune for 3-4 songs before tweaking it. This might be part and parcel of these old tuners, but mine seem to be holding better as time goes on.

I also kept a phillips head screw driver handy for a while after cleaning things up, and I've found the sweet spot where it holds tune, but isn't too hard to turn the tuning key. I'm very satisfied with the friction tuners now and don't think I'll ever change to Asian geared tuners.

hope this helps, jazzbo

that helps indeed. I have more work ahead of me. thanks jazzy!!
    Your pal,
    ~Dustin~

Mookulele ~ Kala Travel Tenor "Kaleakani" ~ Mainland Slotted Mahogany "Paula" ~ Mainland Honeybee ~ 1960s Martin "Style 0" (family heirloom) ~ and a couple others...
    "Sometimes people try to stick labels on me, but I have kinda oily skin, so they just fall off."-SailorQwest
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." -Friedrich Nietzsche
    - Facebook - Twitter - Come SUB me, baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbo View Post
    Not long ago. I picked up a 1950s Martin style 1 Concert and I just couldn't be any more satisfied. I installed aquillas and I'm here to tell you that hard strumming is so loud that it actually hurts my ears. When playing fingerstyle, there's sustain like I've never heard before.

I've owned a few Asian Ukes......Kala, Cordoba, etc., and the Koa models had the best tone. Well, this old Martin mahogany has it all, plus some. I never did buy a K-brand Koa because I discovered that I could own an old Martin Concert for the same price as say a K1. I cannot say that my Martin sounds better than a new K-brand, but I just want to highly recommend an old Martin Concert to folks out there shopping. It took me a few months to find one, so be patient and you won't be sorry.

jazzbo
    A vintage Martin style 1 concert....my dream uke! Do you have any photos (or, better yet, videos) of yours to share? I don't think I'll be able to afford one soon, so how about letting me drool (virtually, that is) over yours?
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

I love the way my Style 2 soprano plays and sounds. I'd love to pick up a Style 1 soprano (I am a tortoise shell nut). I've never played a Martin concert or tenor, but of course, if I blundered onto one somewhere (like a yard sale or thrift store!), I'd probably love one of those as well.
    Last edited by Chris Tarman; 05-26-2010 at 12:54 PM.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

A vintage Martin style 1 concert....my dream uke! Do you have any photos (or, better yet, videos) of yours to share? I don't think I'll be able to afford one soon, so how about letting me drool (virtually, that is) over yours?
    I don't know if it's worthy of drool but here ya go, with plenty of honest wear but it plays like butter.

Oh yeah. I'd say that is definitely worthy of drool. I am jealous.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...

There are currently TWO Style 1 Concerts on eBay. I'm not sure how to link them, but they both have several days left.

I've been watching them both....but it's just not in the budget. Some day....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Thread Information