Uke Lesson 30 - Perfect Sometimes

Hey UUers! This month's episode of Uke Lessons is now online!

Uke Lesson 30 - Perfect Sometimes

Haha, not gonna lie, the picking for this one is a little lengthy and might take you a little while to master (but you can totally do it - we belive in you!). The solo was created by Jake Shimabukuro, who is featured on Justin James' new album, Perfect Sometimes. Just for reference, here are a few Uke Minutes that might help with this picking:

19 - Pull-offs & Hammer-Pull Combos
41 - Muted Octave Strum
47 - How to Bend a Note
88 - Hammer-Pull Exercise

Also, if anyone would like to tab out the picking & post it in the Tabs section, that would be awesome! Questions, comments, constructive criticism, favorite moments, rants about picking frustration, anecdotes about your own "perfect sometimes"s? Post them all below!!

i accidently stopped in that moment, maybe somebody thinks its funny:
48855225.png

nice lesson btw!

Thanks for the great lesson! This one seems like a fun one to jam with people on the beach. I want to learn that picking and so I took my first shot at transcribing it to tabs. Here is a link to the file in case it is helpful to anyone:

http://freedonutstudios.com/documents/Perfect_Sometimes_solo.pdf

I think I've got the whole solo, both parts, down correctly, but please let me know if anyone wants changes, or the .ptb file. Thanks again for the lesson and an introduction to a new song and new artist.

I am using a trial version of the software "Tablatures" for mac so excuse the demo watermark. Mac users what are you using?)

rogue your tab looks perfect! I've been practicing the solo for a couple hours now and I think my fingers are gonna buss. Time to take a break and try again later.

i dont know where i use bm7 and f#m .Can anyone write the all song wth chords please?

Question about the strumming patterm

In the lesson, the strumming pattern is repeated each chord. Is this true in the play along? I am having a hard time keeping up. When I do, I lose the bounce and does not sound right. I have no problem keeping up with the lesson. Is the last up omitted in the play along? Are some sections where where the pattern is not repeated for some chords?

Regards,
George

In the lesson, the strumming pattern is repeated each chord. Is this true in the play along? I am having a hard time keeping up. When I do, I lose the bounce and does not sound right. I have no problem keeping up with the lesson. Is the last up omitted in the play along? Are some sections where where the pattern is not repeated for some chords?

Hey George! You're totally right - the tempo of the Play-Along is a little faster than the lesson. The strumming pattern is played 2 times on each chord (except for the occasional A chord that ends a phrase, in which case they just let it ring). And the last up is not quite omitted, but it is much less pronounced than shown in the lesson. A good exercise to do, in order to get the rhythm of the song, is to start off by clapping along with the Play-Along. When you can consistently keep the beat with your claps, mute your fretboard and just practice strumming, making sure that all of your chunks land where your claps would be. The rest of the ups and downs are just filler and can be louder or softer depending on the rhythm and feel of the song. Once you feel comfortable with that tempo & rhythm, add your chords and you should be all set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55EQEFE7POk&feature=related at 3:45 AG does some sort of outro solo that sounds really nice too. does anyone know anything about that or have it tabbed out?

For this part, there's no set picking. Aldrine was just improvising in the key of D. On the day that we shot the video, we did a few takes and each of his outro solos was different from the next. In fact, if you listen really carefully at around the 4:00 mark, there is a really brief (& very high) ukulele note played but Aldrine's fingers are nowhere near the upper end of the fretboard. This is because I spliced the audio from another take to cover a quick crack in the vocals at that point. But Aldrine wasn't playing the same solo, so the notes didn't match up. (Yay for easter eggs!) :D

Hello everyone, i need a hint to tune my ukulele with this song. Event if my ukulele is tune GCEA with a chromatic tuner AT4 at 420. my note sound a little bit lower than play by aldrine in this song.

Can someone help me

Thanks

hi

I believe at concert pitch.... " A" is at 440 hz ..

if your tuner is at 420 you would be tuned a bit flat ( lower in pitch)..

good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the great lesson! This one seems like a fun one to jam with people on the beach. I want to learn that picking and so I took my first shot at transcribing it to tabs. Here is a link to the file in case it is helpful to anyone:

http://freedonutstudios.com/documents/Perfect_Sometimes_solo.pdf

I think I've got the whole solo, both parts, down correctly, but please let me know if anyone wants changes, or the .ptb file. Thanks again for the lesson and an introduction to a new song and new artist.

I am using a trial version of the software "Tablatures" for mac so excuse the demo watermark. Mac users what are you using?)

Hiya! Thanks for the tab, but the link seems to have gone down. Any chance of a repost?

Hiya! Thanks for the tab, but the link seems to have gone down. Any chance of a repost?

I thought it was just my computer. Tried several times and can't get a connection for that link.

Top Bottom