First Soprano Ukulele (Lanikai LU-21 vs Oscar Schmidt OU12)

Reaction score
Congrats and happy hunting for your new uke. I have not played either of those ukes, but I have heard good things about the Lanikai. Mixed reviews for Oscar Schmidt.
Me...I recommend the Makala Uke. Makala is the lower priced uke made by Kala. I have the concert uke that I got from MGM. He set it up with aquila strings, adjusted the action and polished it up. The cost is about $50. The sound is quite impressive for a uke in that price range and it will be an excellent first step into the world of ukes in that you will play it, it is not a piece of junk.

That is my :2cents: hope it helps!!! :cool:

Congrats and happy hunting for your new uke. I have not played either of those ukes, but I have heard good things about the Lanikai. Mixed reviews for Oscar Schmidt.
Me...I recommend the Makala Uke. Makala is the lower priced uke made by Kala. I have the concert uke that I got from MGM. He set it up with aquila strings, adjusted the action and polished it up. The cost is about $50. The sound is quite impressive for a uke in that price range and it will be an excellent first step into the world of ukes in that you will play it, it is not a piece of junk.

That is my :2cents: hope it helps!!! :cool:

I need to cut and paste this response: I prefer the sound of the Makala agathist ukes to the mahogany series. The Lanikai (nato) is simply a little bit more finished deal (binding etc). For the money the Makalas are great.

Last edited:
The Lanikai LU-21 was my first ukulele and after about 6 years it still has that same rich sound as when I first got it. The only downside is that if you have large or wide fingers, its pretty hard to fit them on this fingerboard. The first fret is only about half an inch wide. Other than that its a great ukulele for a beginner.

I need to cut and paste this response: I prefer the sound of the Makala agathist ukes to the mahogany series. The Lanikai (nato) is simply a little bit more finished deal (binding etc). For the money the Makalas are great.
Another vote for Makala, and I have to agree with luvdatuke I think they sound better than most others in their price range. The set up and strings make a big difference like molokinirum says, if you can check out Musicguymic on ebay, his set up is great and he put Aquila's on them.

Top Bottom