Elite XC - results

deach

Reaction score
RESULTS BELOW!!!!!!!!!!

Rogers - Murphy TKO Rogers rnd1

No suprise here. Rogers has momentum but isn't ready for a title shot yet.

Baroni - Villasenor TKO - Villasenor rnd 1 - strikes

Yawn. Baroni needs to hang it up or fight in the league that Dan Severn fights in.

Carano - Young - TKO Carano end of 2nd rnd - cuts

Whoa! Probably the best striking I've seen in MMA in a while. Both were game! Young was ready to go at the end of the 2nd although I don't thnk it would have lasted much longer. Gina looked great for only 3 weeks of training.

Lawler - Smith - NC

Early stoppage. Smith should have been afforded the full 5 minutes before they asked if he could see. Hell of a fight!!! Both guys came to play. Shaw did the right thing paying them both though.

Kimbo - Thompson - TKO Kimbo 3rd rnd

Kimbo definitely needs to work on his BJJ if he wants any longevity in MMA. Thompson elbowed and punched Kimbo for 2 minutes with no real damage at the end of the 2nd. :confused: Kimbo could have easily shrimped out of there.

Thompson's ear - NASTY!!!!!!!! It was nasty before the fight and after the fight, oh man!!!

The commentary was ridiculous. Some of the comments were definitely geared to CBS' new-to-MMA crowd.

Last edited:
ha deach this hasnt even started to air out on the west coast yet. now i dont need to watch anymore... More excited for the one tomorrow tho on WEC. :nana:

I put RESULTS in the title just in case people didn't want to know them.

Gina's fight and Lawler's fight were good ones though. And watching Thompson ear get smashed adds a nice freak show touch even though you have to sit through 2 rounds of sloppy amateur fighting.

ha yeah i never really liked the way kimbo slice fought strong but more lesser technique than brock lesnar did a few ufc's ago, i'm sure he'll get caught if he fought one of the heavy weight BJJ people like minotoro nogueira

Last edited:
early stoppage in the kimbo fight. :mad:

thompson was clearly on the ropes, but not quite out yet...

WARNING!!!! GRAPHIC IMAGERY ATTACHED

early stoppage in the kimbo fight. :mad:

thompson was clearly on the ropes, but not quite out yet...

I totally agree but to be honest with you, I wasn't totally paying attention... I couldn't keep my eyes off of Thompson's ear. WTF!!!!! Damn thing was floppin' around like an octopus was trying to crawl into his head.

before...

screengrab27164.jpg

...and, after:

screengrab18814.jpg

Man! I wanted the Lawler-Smith match to go on. But it was still awesome, although it was a No-Contest in the wackest way. Lawler filipino right?

And Kimbo definitely needs to work on the ground. Many rookie moves but def has a lot to learn. Those heavy hands still seize to amaze me...

That Lawler fight was the ish...I thought Smith was out after the first round, and he came out fresh for the second. It was a shame that the fight was stopped. I'm looking forward for the rematch. If Smith kept up with the high and low, he would've gotten lawler I think. Lawler kept dropping his hands. It was only a matter of time til he got caught.

Carano, damn, my future baby momma is ruthless, although she did look gassed.

That was some nasty cauliflower from Thompson, you could see how it weighed his ear down. It must have been fresh, because I couldn't imagine him wanting to keep it. Probably didn't want to drain it before the fight so kimbo could target it and cost him a tko.

In the 2nd, may have been only me, but even though Thomspon wasn't doing any damage, he still had Kimbo. If it was anyone else, or if it wasn't a main event, I think the fight would've been stopped. Herb Dean would've called it.

My 2 cents. What do you guys think?

That was some nasty cauliflower from Thompson, you could see how it weighed his ear down. It must have been fresh, because I couldn't imagine him wanting to keep it. Probably didn't want to drain it before the fight so kimbo could target it and cost him a tko.

In the 2nd, may have been only me, but even though Thomspon wasn't doing any damage, he still had Kimbo. If it was anyone else, or if it wasn't a main event, I think the fight would've been stopped. Herb Dean would've called it.

My 2 cents. What do you guys think?

that cauliflower had solid weight to it. it was gross how it was flopping around pre-explosion.

i'm not sure herb dean would've stopped it, but he definitely wouldn't have stood it up. scarfhold w/an arm trapped is a pretty dominant position. when the ref stood it up, i was like :rolleyes:

lesnar would destroy kimbo.

that cauliflower had solid weight to it. it was gross how it was flopping around pre-explosion.

i'm not sure herb dean would've stopped it, but he definitely wouldn't have stood it up. scarfhold w/an arm trapped is a pretty dominant position. when the ref stood it up, i was like :rolleyes:

lesnar would destroy kimbo.

Why didn't he drain that ear before the fight? He may as well have hung a sign on it reading "Hit me here". Why didn't Kimbo aim for that straight from round one?

Thompson had him trapped but his baby punches were ineffective. There was no way the fight should have been stopped then. If you saw Kimbo's fight with Rich Gannon, you know Kimbo can take some serious punishment. He was tired but definitely not hurt. If any decent HW had Kimbo down like than,it may have been a different story. Can imagine Vera raining down on him for 2 minutes?

Why didn't he drain that ear before the fight? He may as well have hung a sign on it reading "Hit me here". Why didn't Kimbo aim for that straight from round one?

agreed. being a professional, thompson should've had that taken care of. one of my teammates even drains his cauliflower himself.

it'd be interesting to see if they'll feed kimbo another can.

Shaw is slime. Of course they'll feed him a can. Kimbo wins = more hype and more money for Shaw.

That being said, Kimbo has only been doing MMA for what? A year now? Yes, he's been fighting all his life but street fighting and MMA really are two different things. Most fights are paired based on similar records. Can you imagine if you had only one MMA fight and you were offered Tank Abbott? Yeah, he's old and out of shape but he's had over 20 pro fights but still....

agreed. being a professional, thompson should've had that taken care of. one of my teammates even drains his cauliflower himself.

I didn't realize that you could drain cauliflower ear after it had healed already. I knew you could do it when it is still fresh and the blood is pumping and still collecting but afterwards I thought it just settled and became part of the ear.

rubbertoe, that cauliflower was pretty fresh, in fact I thought I saw it turn purple during the fight, like deach and I said, he probably didn't want to drain it before the fight, it would've been a target. In fact twice last night I had Hasim Rahkman (sp.) deja vu. First the alien on Carano's opponents left cheek, and Thompson's ear. Absolutely disgusting, but funny as hell.

I also agree with deach in that they are choosing kimbo's opponents wisely. But gut check time is pretty much here. Thompson was absolutely horrible that fight. I mean you saw his ground game, and his takedowns, they were so sloppy. Tell me why a guy so big and so strong can't possibly drop down a decent hammer fist. That would've ended it.

kimbo will have a hard time with a lot of the other heavyweights out there with some ground skill. Don't get me wrong I'm not hating on kimbo, I wish him the best. I mean, if the great Basito is willing to train him, he has something. But you know Bas was going to kick his butt in the gym later to improve his ground game.

I also have to say, the reason why I always enjoyed japanese fighting venues like pride, and k-1 better is because the crowd is more knowledgeable and more respectable. I was pissed when the crowd was booing the Lawler fight. I wonder what they would've done if they had to watch the first round of a muay thai fight.

What did you guys think of that head sports announcer? I didn't like him, it seemed like all his questions and comments were scripted. They should've given it to Mauro, he's more than capable of doing the job. Even Quadros would've been nice.

Sorry for being so long, but lastly, what do you think of this? Now that mma is more popular, and has a wider audience, now more women watch the shows. So I have my female cousins watching with us. So all the guys are watching the fight, and sure it's a male thing mostly, like football. But now the girls are all, ooh he's cute, while we're watching the fight. The girls are jocking the fighter's begging that the cute one doesn't get hit, while the guys are watching the fight. Pisses me off, I want to watch the fight.

I also have to say, the reason why I always enjoyed japanese fighting venues like pride, and k-1 better is because the crowd is more knowledgeable and more respectable. I was pissed when the crowd was booing the Lawler fight. I wonder what they would've done if they had to watch the first round of a muay thai fight.

They were in the armpit of the USA after all, lol. I agree with you about the Japanese audiences though.

Sorry for being so long, but lastly, what do you think of this? Now that mma is more popular, and has a wider audience, now more women watch the shows. So I have my female cousins watching with us. So all the guys are watching the fight, and sure it's a male thing mostly, like football. But now the girls are all, ooh he's cute, while we're watching the fight. The girls are jocking the fighter's begging that the cute one doesn't get hit, while the guys are watching the fight. Pisses me off, I want to watch the fight.

At first, we're talking years ago, there was a lot of that with the people I hung around with. But now, most of the women I watch the fights with train as well...how sexy is that!

They were in the armpit of the USA after all, lol. I agree with you about the Japanese audiences though.

Yeah EliteXC is not the best representative of MMA. The commentator said "Fans Booing, the fans want to see some action this is boxing". I don't know but Lawler was fighting a smart fight trying to wait for the counter cuz the gloves are not fluffy pillows. I wonder how they would've reacted in the Machida/Ortiz fight.

The fighting tho was kinda sloppy in some of the fights, most of them just wanted to get outta there and try to win, kinda like the earlier UFC's that people also tried to boycott back in the early 90's

Last edited:
Without reading anyones replies to this thread, I just wanted to say, I frickin hate EliteXC already. This card had so many things wrong with it, I'm pissed that it was the first televised MMA product on National TV.

1. Gina Carano comes in 4.5 lbs overweight at the weigh ins. She hasn't made weight for her last 3 or 4 fights which is an embarrassment in itself. It's not fair to her opponents who have all come in on weight even if they get a little bit of her purse.

2. Doctors don't give Scott Smith the full 5 min to recover because of of the event needing to fit into a 2 hour block(which they didnt). Doctors end what was the best fight on the card early without a decisive winner. That was the most I've seen Lawler pushed in a while (prior to Proelite buying ICON, he fought a lot in Hawaii after his stint in the UFC).

3. The most egregious of them all, pushing Kimbo Slice who is nothing more than a n00b heavyweight who doesn't even deserve to be the main event yet. Sure he has a lot of fans from Youtube but he makes the sport look bad. He doesn't have a ground game and was getting dominated by James Freakin Thompson. Brett Rogers just KTFOed him a couple months ago and Brett Rogers was the first fight of the night. Dan Mirigliotta refs a lot of UFC events in NJ so I couldn't understand why he would stop the fight, Thompson was obviously still in it or why he didn't stop the fight when Kimbo was not intelligently defending himself while stuck in the crucifix position and receiving a drum solo of elbows on his head for 2 freakin minutes. According to Brett Rogers who was watching from cage side, everyone live saw Kimbo tapping during those elbows. I hope they let Kimbo fight Rogers so can expose him for the tool he is.

I am pissed. My friend Poai fights for EliteXC, I hope the UFC picks him up soon cause I don't want to see him go through this crap.:mad:

or why he didn't stop the fight when Kimbo was not intelligently defending himself while stuck in the crucifix position and receiving a drum solo of elbows on his head for 2 freakin minutes.

You said it yourself - James Freakin Thompson. 2 minutes of those elbows didn't do much damage. Kimbo's arms were tied up and due to his inexperience, he didn't realize a little shrimping action could have freed himself. If it were anyone besides Thompson, the fight would probably have stopped. Can you imagine if someone with good GnP skills were on top. Someone like Ortiz? Oh man.

Without reading anyones replies to this thread, I just wanted to say, I frickin hate EliteXC already. This card had so many things wrong with it, I'm pissed that it was the first televised MMA product on National TV.

yeah not the best I agree with u on that. And probably the worst organization to show the public what MMA is all about. I hope these people tune into Vs. Tonight to see some real MMA going down or even wait for the replay of UFC 85 Bedlam on Spike in a few weeks from now. Nothing better than to see Matt Hughes on basic cable. Not to mention BRANDON VERA:rock: vs Fabricio Werdum.

I almost had to turn it off due to the poor announcing. Shamrock and his two sidekicks were no bueno. I had a much more enjoyable experience with the volume on low. Some good fights though. The girls went at it too...pretty legit I must say:nana:

Top Bottom