Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True or False?

Default True or False?

So in the last couple months I've been in contact with a well known luthier about a custom build. I won't say who exactly, but the person does have a good reputation and makes some nice ukes.

Anyway, some of the specs I gave were:

1. A Cutaway
    2. A Classical Guitar style rosette

I don't remember the exact words, but the person basically told me that there was no good way to make/bend a cutaway, and that the one's I've seen were on cheap chinese produced ukes and were made out of more pliable laminated wood.

Now, I'm pretty sure Mr. Moore does not use laminated wood when he makes his ukes, so there is obviously a way to bend the side. I don't know if the person doesn't want to even mess with a cutaway or what...

Secondly, the luthier in question said that they don't make classical guitar looking rosettes for use with ukuleles.
    They make them for cavaquinho's, so I don't see why we couldn't fit one on a uke.

I think there's one on the uke in this video(though the quality isn't good and I'm not sure).

I'm not locked into anything yet because I never gave a deposit or anything and we already discussed taking away the cutaway and the rosette.

I know I'll be happy with a custom uke, but now I'm thinking that I won't be as happy if I don't get one just how I want it. (I'm sure people know the feeling or whatever)

I may be a watered down Mexican/Spaniard that barely speaks Spanish, but I really want a uke that looks like a flamenco guitar.

Basically, like this:

41W5dRrU0uL._SL500&#9.jpg

The price I've been quoted is amazing though, and if I had to go to another luthier, the uke would cost a lot more with the same specs and I'd have to wait and save up even longer.

What should I do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's obviously false, but you have to ask yourself, what would arguing with him get you? Sounds like you need to decide if you want the uke he's offering or not. If not, I'd find another builder.

Thank's for replying Matt. I forgot to say that I knew it was obviously false because of some of the ukes I've seen. I also haven't really brought the thought up to the person again until I get some feedback from you guys. I guess I will just have to go elsewhere.

It's not "custom" if the luthier won't build to your specs. Find one who will.

Have you considered building it yourself ? There's a guy on UU i think his name is Culprj who built a stew mac tenor kit and did a video on how he did it. I don't know how to direct you to it but I think you can find it. The one he built sounds just like the one you want. Remember "you get what you pay for." .
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 06-05-2010 at 05:04 AM. Reason: none

Is it a Soprano your after ? if so, a cutaway would be more irksome but not impossible.

that is totally false. I think maybe he has never built one or dose not like building them. If a cut away is what you really want don't settle

Thanks everyone.

Pete, I just saw that thread this morning while searching to see if a thread like this had been posted and it looked interesting. I could probably do it.

Timbuck, It's definitely a tenor I'm after. I love the extra room and deeper sound.

Like I said, I haven't discussed it with him since March. I'll bring it up again and if he said he can't do it, well then i'll have to find someone else.

I wouldn't push it. It's your money, and ultimately your Uke. It seems rather obvious that even if he agreed to it, it would be outside his "comfort zone" and the results might reflect that. I'd find someone else whose existing work is similar to what you're looking.

From the sounds of things, this luthier can probably provide you with a very nice, high quality hand-made uke. If that is what you are looking for, then you will probably be happy with what he provides. But... if you are looking for a custom uke, built to your specifications and desires, this luthier has already said that he does not want to build that uke for you. You will need to find someone else who is as committed to your vision as you are.

BTW, looks like you already have a pretty sweet collection in your picture :-)
    Allan
    Sopranos:Gibson Uke 1, Ukebrand Kumalae, Martin S-O, Northern JCD1, Risa Stick, Aloha plastic, Dixie banjolele, Macafferi Islander
    Concerts: National Triolian, Koaloha Sceptre, Gold Tone banjolele, Kala SMHGCE-C, Gold Tone Banjo, vintage Harmony
    Tenors: Godin MultiUke, Regal Wendell Hall Teeviola, Sonny Daze CBU, Oscar Schmidt 8-string A/E
    Baritones: Bobby Henshaw
    The Mrs...
    Concerts: Koaloha, Mainland mahogany
    Sopranos: 1940s Gretsch, Kala Pineapple

Thread Information