Southern Illinois Ukin' in the Woods campout and uke fest!

bornagainjeeper

Reaction score
Howdy!
Ever since last year (2009) UWC I thought it would be fun to get folks together outside, and try to remedy the longing for UWC time. That is why I'm Happy to announce this years Ukin' in the Woods camp out, in southern Illinois.

Camp out Objective(why)
The objective of this event is to not only build bonds of friendship but bonds with our natural world as well. Making music in the forest, near the water, or on a bluff with people have so much in common with.

Who- Open to all ages uke players or enthusiasts, friends, family, pets ect...I expect the turn out to be modest, around 20-30 people, and intimate gathering to share good music and conversation

When- DATE CONFIRMED FOR OCTOBER 15-16-17 2010....Arrive on friday anytime after noon (or just talked to me ahead and you can come earlier) and be leaving sunday evening ish....we have the event cabin from friday at noon until sunday at noon

Where- In the Carbondale, Illinois region. Carbondale Illinois is home to Southern Illinois University, the inspiration for the movie Animal House, (as Jim Belushi, Johns brother is an alum) And home to some of the finest forestry and radio/television programs in the nation. Just south of Carbondale is the Shawnee national forest which dissects the lower portion of the state from the Ohio to Mississippi Rivers, and south to the Kentucky border. So what? Southern Illinois is home to a larger diversity of plant and animal species than anyother place in the country (no kidding!) because it was never once glaciated or submerged under the ocean. The location is finally decided upon. It is a RUSTIC cabin, in the forest with a fireplace and some chairs, (no beds or couches) This spot is both the main event site, as well as accommodations for all who wish to stay in a more rustic setting. There is a great deal of floor space in the cabin to stretch out and sleep boyscout style, on pads with sleeping bags, as well as a large pasture/maple grove to set up tents for more privacy. There is water one site, as well as a porta-pooper, and showers and nicer facilities are just down the road at a campground (likely free of charge).

What One of the finest things we know about the UWC is that the lack of structure is where the magic lies...It is my goal to impart such a freeness to this event, however, i have a few events planned...
Friday- Just meet-greet, Jam and Eat. Participants will likely arrive mid to late afternoon. The cabin site does have electricity, to facilitate jamming into the night (as well as a wonderful fireplace)
Saturday- Southern Illinois is home to a wonderful array of wineries, (a dozen or more) many specializing in our most common local crops apples and peaches, as well as grapes as well. Saturday will be spent winding our way down the country roads and forcing our ukulele ways on the patrons of these fine establishments, as most of these wineries as very scenic areas to sit and enjoy the late summer sun (expect temptures in the 60's to 70s during the day, and 35-55 at night) This won't be a completely organized afternoon, though i expect the majority of us will travel together,being the wacky band of minstrels we are.
Sunday Either saturday morning or sunday will be spent enjoying the out of doors, either visiting one of the local wilderness areas (places left where no mechanical things, including chainsaws, bikes, and atvs are allowed) where we can find ourselves one of the many shelter bluffs (shallow "caves") to act as a natural amphitheater for an acoustic open mic. This Hike will likely be 2-3 miles and of moderate-difficult terrain. Canoeing will likely be a possibilty on Little Grassy lake, if the group size ends up being smaller.

Cost The cost of camping at the site is $7 per person per night, and we will be staying two nights. This money goes to touch of nature environmental center, to help with its programming for at risk youth, physically and mentally disabled individuals, and other educational programming, a good cause. Those staying elsewhere need not pay this price.
Other Accomodations:
If camping isn't your thing for physical or other reasons, and a nice comfy bed is the way you want to go, please look into

http://www.littlegrassylakecampground.com/Camping.html for Full RV hook up or tent camping nearer to the shower facilities

http://giantcitylodge.com/lodging/#cabins_historic a state park about 1.5 miles from the likely event site the cabins are fairly nice, but not luxurious

the Towns of Carbondale (9 miles from site) Marion (15 miles from site) Anna (15 miles from site) and Murphysboro ( 15 miles from site,) all have many hotels

Travel information: The nearest large, international airport is St louis which is roughly 2 hours away, chicago is roughly 6 hours (and it is likely the people will be driving from there, so rides may be arrangeable) Memphis is 2.5 hours, and the nearest local airport is Marion Illinois (Williamson county airport) which does connecting flights to St louis and Chicago. Carbondale is the nearest city and is located on Highway 51 and Highway 13, about 15 minutes west of Interstate 57. Also if you put a canoe in the mississippi river in Minneapolis Mn, it will take you about 1.5 months to get here, and i can pick you up then.

Final Thoughts: Southern Illinois is fairly centrally located in the US and many midwestern and southerners can get here in less than 8 hours by car from IN, MO, LA, AL, GA, TN, WI, MI, IA...ect, so i hope i can make this event as accessible as possible, any private concerns or questions feel free to PM me
So thats about all for now, I will update this thread often, as i get more information, I should be able to make confirmation about the cabin site within the week.

Thanks and please post if you are seriously interested so i can started putting together a fuzzy count

Alex

Last edited:
This is awesome, I really hope I can make it.

I love youuuuuuuuu Alex!

The objective of this event is to not only build bonds of friendship but bonds with our natural world as well. Making music in the forest, near the water, or on a bluff with people have so much in common with.
I really need to get my eyes checked... for some reason I read that as in the buff, although that could be interesting, too. :D

It's almost 800 miles from my house. I'll think about it.

Sounds like a date. I"m in.

From central IL to Southern IL, I should be there with bells on. I mean it literally, I will have bells of all kinds (Pants, cow, beer.....)
Can't wait, keep us in the loop. The minute the date is final I will put it on my site also.

Wow. Sounds like a fabulous idea Alex.
Just talked it over with my wife and I could make the Oct 16-17-18 weekend. The other one would be much harder to do.

Wow. Sounds like a fabulous idea Alex.
Just talked it over with my wife and I could make the Oct 16-17-18 weekend. The other one would be much harder to do.

well sir as long as i don't get any "NO WAY 16-18" from people i like more than you (jokes) then i'm pretty sure it'll be the latter weekend, and all will be well, i very much hope to see you again....i should know a final date asap

From central IL to Southern IL, I should be there with bells on. I mean it literally, I will have bells of all kinds (Pants, cow, beer.....)
Can't wait, keep us in the loop. The minute the date is final I will put it on my site also.

sounds fantastic! its only about 4 hours from normal

people i like more than you
What? I thought I was the BFF. Although I did see you kissing... ah nevermind.

Anyhow if a different date happens I'll just have to lobby a little harder -- this kind of advanced notice always helps.

I am totally and completely down with this plan! I'm suffering UWC withdrawls already. I will bring beer.

It's almost 800 miles from my house. I'll think about it.
haha yea, it's over 1,500 miles for us :D

We most likely wont be able to make it, although we would love to be able to. Our financial situation for the summer is gonna suck since I just got furloughed at work. Also, we have a Jack Johnson show to attend on the 10th, so money will be a bit tight. We'll find out more when it gets closer, but as of now, it will have to remain a fantasy. In which case, it will be "in the buff" :D

dude: Ukes, hiking, wandering around southern IL. Eff yeah. ill be there.

Top Bottom