Best Ukulele in $100 Range

Reaction score
I'm buying my first ukulele and am willing to spend around $100 dollars on it. What is the best ukulele I can get in this price range? Any help is appreciated.

lanikai and kala both make pretty good ukes for that price. i like the lanikai lu-11, personally, but the kala ka-s is also good.

I have seen those 2, they're a little closer to fifty dollars (on eBay) which was my previous price range. Are their any that anyone can recommend that are a little more expensive but are worth that extra expense?

i have a lanikai sc, which cost me $107 (including a case). i like it a lot—great intonation, good sound. and it's very light.

My first uke was an Oscar Schimdt OU-2 ($70) I love it still. I even have nice ukes now and I will still go back to it.
I know OS has a reputation for crap guitars and the such, but since they started maiking the ukes in indonesia they are really nice. It is hard to find a sub $100 uke with a compasated saddle.
Just my 2 cents

I just bought my second uke (very slowly working my way up to a DaSilva.. I wish), a Lanikai LU-22 (Same specs as an LU-21, I think it's a Guitar Center thing though..) concert. Pretty good setup out of box, changed the strings to Worth Brown's, and it sounds worlds better than my first cheap ukulele. I picked it up for $90, including a string change and tuner at my local Guitar Center.

Good luck, and welcome to the ukulele world (And UU!)!

Sorry I didn't specify this before, but I'm looking to buy a soprano ukulele.

I'll just say I've seen some great deals on the marketplace on this board. One of these days I'm gonna jump on one of the tremendous deals I've seen on Fleas.

Used ukes and seconds can get you a lot for the bucks. Have you checked local antique stores? I just bought a Kamaka Pineapple for $100 at one. It's at a local luthier's having some minor cracks repaired. I'll wind up with an antique Kamaka for under $200.

Really those Lanikais are not a bad place to start. But I'll throw a new name up there that can at least get you a solid top in your price range: Makai. You'll have an especially good looking one just a sniffle over $100 if you go for the Makai LK80 or a little under with the Makai MK-70
Some Makais have been showing up on ebay. Many of their models echo Ohana.

Check out MGM (Music Guy Mic) on ebay and see what he has. Great dealer, great service and he has an awesome reputation.

I just bought my second uke (very slowly working my way up to a DaSilva.. I wish), a Lanikai LU-22 (Same specs as an LU-21, I think it's a Guitar Center thing though..) concert. Pretty good setup out of box, changed the strings to Worth Brown's, and it sounds worlds better than my first cheap ukulele. I picked it up for $90, including a string change and tuner at my local Guitar Center.

Good luck, and welcome to the ukulele world (And UU!)!

I love my DaSilva. You may also want to put Mya-Moe on your short list.

Really those Lanikais are not a bad place to start. But I'll throw a new name up there that can at least get you a solid top in your price range: Makai. You'll have an especially good looking one just a sniffle over $100 if you go for the Makai LK80 or a little under with the Makai MK-70
Some Makais have been showing up on ebay. Many of their models echo Ohana.
I just got a Makai solid sprucetop tenor, and it's a very nice uke. They have several models in all sizes in your price range.
Check out MGM (Music Guy Mic) on ebay and see what he has. Great dealer, great service and he has an awesome reputation.
You definetly can't go wrong with MGM! And he usually has the Makai's as well as Kala, Makala, and Ohana, set up and with upgrade to Aquila strings. Give him a call or email and he can answer your questions.

i'd really say go for the lanikai's....i've played some in a local shop and there isn't a thing in the world wrong with them for that price range, like you said, around 50-100 bucks....great intonation, tone, really great....or you could save your pennies and pick up a flea, fluke, or mainland (all in the 200ish range) all ukes you would never feel the need to replace (until UAS sets in)

Top Bottom