My new Backpacker ukulele

whetu

Reaction score
I'm giddy. Yesterday I received my new Backpacker ukulele, made by Captain Ukuleles, which is based out of the small settlement of Te Pahu in the Waikato region of New Zealand.

It features all NZ native timbers, concert scale (or thereabouts), passive under-saddle pickup, strap buttons as stock, custom tuning pegs, Aquila Nylguts and a beeswax finish. It also arrived in a custom made tote bag.

Anyway, enough jabbering, you want to see it. Here you go:

backpacker1.jpg

The woods used are:
Top: Kahikatea
Back: Rewarewa
Sides: Kamahi
Neck: Tawa
Fretboard: Rata
Bridge: Tawhai

It's also interesting to note that some of the wood used is recycled, so each instrument made by Captain Ukuleles probably has some small story attached to it. Here's mine:

The Kahikatea is a special piece of wood. It came from a log pulled out of the Kaniwhaniwha stream (in Te Pahu) many years ago. It had been buried under the streambed for a long time. Possibly since settler times, as it had the remains of iron dogs for bullocks in the ends. So it’s a little like ‘Swamp’ Kahikatea. Very green. I was very lucky to get some of this wood through a friend who knew the son of the guy who found the log.
The rest of the timbers came from the south side of Pirongia. Trees that have fallen down over the years on a farm owned by an old guy I met recently.

I'd like to draw your attention to the grain of the Rewarewa on the back, it's amazing IMHO :D

backside.jpg

Because I'm having so much fun playing it I think any sound samples will be a couple of days away. I'm a very happy camper though, so I highly recommend Captain Ukuleles if you're after something unique :)

/edit #1: this cost me NZD$200 so roughly USD$140

/edit #2: jongm has posted his experiences here

/edit #3: more pictures of the family can be seen here
mm stan's
cocohonk's
finchiekin the owl's
suzukhammer's

Last edited:
How about a pic next to a conventional ukulele for comparison? Otherwise, looks great. Would love to hear a sample.

Looks great! Probably difficult to hold without a strap though. Looks durable and ready for some travelling action!

What about the "Delicious Ice Cream" magazine?
Cheers,
Skottoman

I was looking for one of these type of ukes since martin discontinued theirs. What caught my attention most is that they use old world recycled
timber, logs. I have a few questions about them if I may, the bottom where the tuning pegs have no knobs?? Are the pegs slotted for easy turning
and tuning. Any photo's of that area. Also what are the two round metal things on each side of the tuners. Last of all, how does it sound? I'm guessing kinda bright because of it's size....does it have of the deep richer sounds???What is the scale length and or is it a concert. I like the
price at $140.00 not too bad hmmm. do you have his contact tele# or address or e-mail address? I want to look into this. Hope you will put
up a video and it's sound, I would appriciate it.... Whetu, Many thanks, MM Stan Keep On vibrating those strings
sounds???

Neat uke. Good idea to compare with a 'regular' uke.

Thanks for the pictures.

Keep uke'in',

wow... good amount of feedback, ok, I was thinking about a comparison photo when writing the above, I'll do that now and answers for questions:

Looks great! Probably difficult to hold without a strap though.

Yup, it takes a bit of getting used to playing without a headstock. I've had my hand fly right off the fretboard a couple of times! Having a strap there would give my hand some point of reference though

What about the "Delicious Ice Cream" magazine?

Heh... my girlfriend is a chef by trade. We got a couple of bags of Feijoas from a friend's, and she decided to make some vegan friendly Feijoa ice cream for my friend's vegan girlfriend. That's a recipe book she was using for reference, and yes.. it was delicious ice cream (now I want more!)

I have a few questions about them if I may, the bottom where the tuning pegs have no knobs?? Are the pegs slotted for easy turning
and tuning. Any photo's of that area. Also what are the two round metal things on each side of the tuners.

tail.jpg

They're like small bolts I guess, you need a drum key or a spanner to turn them, it's an odd system with pro's and con's but I'm sure something easier could be conjured up if you get in touch with him. The two round metal things are 1) a strap button and 2) a pickup jack :)

Last of all, how does it sound? I'm guessing kinda bright because of it's size....does it have of the deep richer sounds???

Very bright, though keeping in mind that it's packing Aquila's that haven't been broken in. The deeper sounds are there, though they're subtle.

What is the scale length and or is it a concert.

14.75", I ordered it as a concert and it plays like one :)

I like the price at $140.00 not too bad hmmm.

Ah! Note that this price is including a pickup. Without a pickup you're looking at around USD$104

do you have his contact tele# or address or e-mail address? I want to look into this.

These details should be available on his website. Note that if calling, do so during NZ daylight hours (GMT+12) ;)

Last edited:
can we get a video/sound sample? it looks great!

Aloha Again Whetu,
Many thanks for all the info and sharing with all of us. Have fun with your new ukulele!!!will be awaiting you vids on it!!!
"Keep on vibrating them strings" Uke On!!!!

alrighty, here's a vid of me messing about and generally sounding awful. I recorded a cover of a song but I'm 50/50 about uploading it, as my singing is a bit flat (I have a cold :( )

Now my heart aches with want for one of these. Did it come with a drum key for tuning or did you have to scramble around. For some reason I was even thinking of roller skate keys when I saw the pic.

many thanks for the post and for the sound sample/video whetu. i very much dig the backpacker uke look, size and sound. i contacted bevan of captain ukulele and he is going to make me one. arranging things with him is easy and quick (email, and all in one day!). i requested a small headstock with friction pegs to address the concerns raised earlier in this thread.

already too excited to get my hands on it and start playing everywhere my two winged feet will lead me (wish my fret fingers and strumming hand were winged as well).

...uke is the answer!

jong

Aloha Whetu,
Many, many thank-you's for the video. My gosh it sounded way better than I expected, then again your uku playing is very good. Are you tuned
in the standard GCEA and I don't think it was pluged in your amp. I wonder how would that sounds like??? Makes me wanna order on right away.
And How much does it weigh??Also I can see it can be used without a strap as you did in the video, is it comfortable without one?How do
you all say thanks in Maori or New Zealand, jus wondering???? Anyways thanks again and "Keep On Vibrating them strings" Uke on!!!MM Stan..

Wow, what nice comments to wake up to. Everyone that I don't respond to directly: thank you for the kind feedback, I was feeling a little protective about my new baby. I also want to put plenty of smileys throughout this post, but I'm limited to 4 or 5. Just know that I'm a really happy chappy right now. :)

Now my heart aches with want for one of these. Did it come with a drum key for tuning or did you have to scramble around. For some reason I was even thinking of roller skate keys when I saw the pic.

Yup, it comes with a drum key. Disclosure (I guess): Bevan did forget to supply one, but then again as it wasn't actually advertised as part of the package I wasn't expecting one - I thought I'd have to find one myself or use a spanner or something. Bevan emailed me and let me know that he'd forgotten to chuck it in, so he was going to post me one along with some extra beeswax polish. I certainly can't complain about the customer service :)

I will say though, this system does provide for really accurate tuning and there's never going to be any slipping.

Aloha Whetu,
Many, many thank-you's for the video. My gosh it sounded way better than I expected, then again your uku playing is very good.

Aww, thanks - I really was only messing around, I'm self taught for about a year and a half so I don't think I'm that good yet. It's always nice to get positive comments though, I really appreciate it :D

Are you tuned in the standard GCEA and I don't think it was pluged in your amp. I wonder how would that sounds like???

Standard tuning, no amp. It has nice projection and sustain for its size, as you can tell. For reference the recording was done on a Canon Powershot A560 approx 1m/3ft away. I can't wait to see what it sounds like amped too, just have to find an amp first, maybe end of next week (after my next payday)

Makes me wanna order on right away. And How much does it weigh??Also I can see it can be used without a strap as you did in the video, is it comfortable without one? How do you all say thanks in Maori or New Zealand, jus wondering????

According to my kitchen scales, 259g/9.2oz. It's comfortable to use without a strap if you're used to it, though I found switching between some chords a bit tricky e.g. Am to Em or G required a rethink of how I'd normally do that change, normally I'd do with Am with my index finger, strapless I have to do it with my middle finger. In Maori you can say thankyou the same way we say hello: "Kia Ora", and in Kiwi we say "Cheers mate" :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom