"Pinky" G Chord vs standard G Chord Finger Positions

ddpro153

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,

Is there any advantage to using just the Pinky G fingering versus the standard fingering? For those who are wondering what it is ... form a G7 chord and apply your pinky to the 3rd fret of the E string .. ta-da a Pinky G :>) You can either leave your pointer finger where it is or lift it off the E string.

To me, some of the chord transitions to and from the G chord using the "pinky" way seems to be easier. I'm not sure if I'm learning myself a "bad" habit .... there must be a sound musical reason why standard G fingering is what it is. Whatcha think?

Thanks,
Dave

I wouldn't use it every day, but if you need a quick transition from one to the next, why not?

Aloha Dave,
Actually I came across that by experiment, but I was not comfortable with it when jamming through chords. But if, you starting off playing
a G then go to a G7 I guess it would be okay for me. It just geting in that position with the four fingers from another chord when jamming is uncomfortable for me. It's just me, maybe it will work better for others. Anyways thanks for the suggestion.
Well keep on sending your new ideas, it never hurts to try someone else's new ideas and learn new things, a different perspective....
"Keep Them strings vibrating" Uke on!!! Many thanks.... MM Stan....

Last edited:
Hi ya Dave,
I too use the pinky for my G7, when I was first learning by the "teach yourself from the net cos u dont know a soul what plays uke" method, I kinda felt that by utilising my outside fingers, Pinky and Pointy, I had some spares for hitting some inner strings in a chord. so you'll see my pinky sitting on the A for a C chord and a D7 chord. Works for me, but now I am dong some jammin with some ukers I note a quizical look at my fingering at times, my Bb uses Pointy, Index and Pinky (btw it took me weeks to "erase" the fingering I had previously, but it just wasnt working for me.....probably it was correct fingering but I was teaching myself so had no idea of correct, just a desire for acheivable)

Thanks y'all for your replies! I want to program my muscle memory for each cord and don't want to confuse things with 2 ways to do the same chord, I'm still not sure what's best. I'm not sure if I am hurting myself musically if I adopt only the Pinky G ... the learning process continues :>)

Last edited:
I'd keep the pinky available for other things and let the middle finger fret the E string. There's a version of that G chord that uses the pinky for the G string at the forth fret. And then there's notes on the A string the pinky is going to want to be ready for. Here's an example... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHJByXcMFg Check out what Mr Lynch does with the G chord with his pinky. Then there's "pinky muting" http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/07/12/uke-minutes-20-pinky-mute/

Well, that finalizes it for me ... will use the standard fingering and keep the Pinky options wide open:)

Thanks HoldinCoffee !!

Top Bottom