Anyone here Practice HVAC as an occupation?

specialmike

Reaction score
Hello... my A/C may be broken and I've searched around all online to find trouble shooting techniques.

I live in condo, and the unit isn't all that old. I replaced the "spark plug" the thing that makes the fan turn outside, last year. The air is blowing, but it's not all that cold. Actually, it's probably not cold at all. It's most likely the same temperature as the room.

I have done the basic things, like replace the filter, turn the fan on to unfreeze (if it was frozen), and resetting the power. So far, the temperature hasn't gone up... not has it gone down significantly. I am sitting at 77 degrees, and it's not rising nor is it falling. Are there any other things that I can do?

I've already contacted an HVAC company in hopes of getting some more R-22 into my AC unit, no telling when they'll show up however, today is Sunday. But I don't know what the major problem is... I don't feel ice or anything on the internal unit and the fan outside is spinning...

The summers in Athens, GA are HOT!

PLZ help

Can you hear the compressor running? Does it cycle on and off? It's probably either never on (blowing room temp air) or on constantly (working it's little heart out trying, but failing due to other causes)

Is it a "window" type a/c unit? If da freon has leaked out, an da HVAC guys repair an refill da freon, your compressor will be next to fail shortly. Better to buy a brand new unit. Your total cost of repairs will eclipse the cost of a new unit.

If you're in need of temporary A/C really bad, then check out lifehacker.com for some cheap DIY options ;)

I've actually built one of those ones-- basically it was a giant heat sink with a fish tank motor in it. I ran it through my window of my little basement studio apartment... (it was one of the hottest summers in years here..) It actually dropped the inside temp 20 degrees.. which was miraculous on something that cost me less than $50.

I know there are a lot of people on this site who've gone through the heater core/blend door ordeal and have lived to tell about it. I'd appreciate any advice as to what I should do next. I’m working on an air conditioning unit in Savannah, Ga
Thanks,
Bill
www.aactionair.net

Spam disguised as meaningful conversation. I'm seeing it more and more frequently. Some people suck.

Top Bottom