Display Stand

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I just knocked up this stand for displaying instruments at a few of the local markets I attend. But now my wife wants me to set it up in the house somewhere.:rolleyes: So thought that it might interest some of you that have a collection of ukes hiding away in closets etc.

Made from New Guinea Rosewood and finished with a wipe on oil/wax that dries very hard overnight. New Guinea Rosewood is dirt cheap here and all the wood was just $10. The instrument hangers are ones for guitars, but I just squeezed the tangs together in a vise to fit a uke neck.

31_ukulele_stand_2.jpg

That stand is nice, but those 'ukes are gorgeous. Man you do some inspiring and impressive work. I have a Tiger Myrtle tenor underway that I started after I saw yours on the ANZLF. And after a couple months to find some.

So is that four lattice braced you're up to now? Those were fun to watch the process.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'm pretty pleased with the stand. Looks much more professional I think when you are trying in part to showcase your woodworking skills.

I've done 6 lattice braced ukes to date. These 4 (the ones with the 2 sound-holes in the upper bout) were done all at once with small variations in the lattice, but all other aspects of the build kept as close to the same as possible. I've got 2 made from the same piece of Indian Rosewood, with different bindings, one from Tassie Blackwood and are all concerts. Also a Tenor in Tiger Myrtle that you saw on the ANZf. It's by far my favourite of the lattice braced ones.Both for the looks and the tone and volume is really amazing.

I'm really looking forward to developing these instruments and will post a build log of the next one when it takes place, though that might be a bit of a wait. Got a lot going on in the next few months, not the least is buying a new home and having to move and set up a new shop.

Aloha Allen,
Wow, You do some awesome woodwork....the ukulele rack looks beautiful, and the ukuleles even better. I can tell that you've been doing
it for some time, do you make ukuleles for a living or are a weekend hobbist? By the way, what type of wood are you using for the sides
and backs of the ukuleles? If I were to choose, my choice would be the on at the end with binding. Where I live, you may probally get the
top board of the rack for ten bucks if you're lucky, no kidding. Well thanks for sharing with us, You're an awesome craftsman!!!"Keep on
vibrating them strings" Uke ONNN! MM Stan

I'm more of a hobbiest Stan but it's an all consuming passion that I spend 7 days a week at. I sell my instruments under the label of Barron River Guitars. but it's not enough to keep me and the wife in the manner that we like, so I still have a day job.

I use all sorts of wood for my instruments. Build guitars and Weissenborn and ukes. I like to use Australian timbers, but have a good selection of others. If it looks good, and I can get it at a good price, then it goes into my stock.

All of my instruments shown have bindings and bwb purflings except for the rope bound one, though they may be difficult to see in this photo. In fact, I've only ever done 2 instruments without bindings.

The ones in the photos are from left to right, Tenor of New Guinea Rosewood and Western Red Cedar with rope bindings, Concert of Australian Blackwood and Bear-claw Stika with Indian Rosewood bindings, Concert of Tiger Myrtle and Engelman Spruce with Tiger Myrtle bindings, Concert of Indian Rosewood and Bear-claw Sitka wit blackwood bindings, the same for the next but Cocobolo bindings, and finally a Tenor of Tiger Myrtle with Bear-claw sitka top and Tiger Myrtle bindings.

Hey Allen, I saw your work at ANZLF too and yeah, amazing attention to detail and what fantastic output. I'm gutted that I didn't get a chance to book in for the Cairns ukefest (got stuck between jobs), I'd have loved to have seen some of it in person. Who knows, might win lotto yet! :)

Anyway, what are your thoughts on something cheap and cheerful like this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Guitar-Stand-for-Guitar-Hero-and-Rock-Band/

I imagine one could get the lengths all pre-cut at their local hardware store (e.g. Mitre 10 for us ;)) and basically assemble it at home.

Definitely not as good looking as yours, but maybe a bit more accessible to people who aren't that DIY savvy?

I've got a mate in Townsville that has something similar to that for his guitars. Made from a few lengths of pine and some dowels to separate the necks. Pretty simple to knock up. Just butt joints, and screws, then the dowels are glued into corresponding drilled holes in the upper member.

Great work Allen - suggestion? Put a longer fingerboard on your twin pukas to balance that 'blank' area. Are you using CF reinforced balsa for the bracing or just spruce? I recently played a lattice braced guitar with sound port, laminated sides. While the bass was incredibly strong and out there, the treble was quite weak... what is the balance like on these beauties?

Aloha Allen,
Just curious, what does the ukulele with rope bindings, red cedar top and New guinea rosewood sell for?
And do you have a website under Barron River Guitars? Thanks for the response, pic's and sharing your
finished works of mass beauty. You may say you're a hobbist, but I see a definete passion within your
works. Do you ever use old world timber or is it too costly? Thanks also for keeping the ukulele movement
alive in Australia. Take Care and Best Wishes!!! Aloha MM Stan

That's a fine job on the display stand Allen. The ultimate testament is that your wife says you can bring it into the house. Good job!
Note that she said nothing about those fine ukuleles so I'm happy to send you my address.
That Guinea Rosewood looks pretty good. Just curious, did you use a continuous (piano) hinge or something else?
Again, very fine work Allen.
Fred

Great work Allen - suggestion? Put a longer fingerboard on your twin pukas to balance that 'blank' area. Are you using CF reinforced balsa for the bracing or just spruce? I recently played a lattice braced guitar with sound port, laminated sides. While the bass was incredibly strong and out there, the treble was quite weak... what is the balance like on these beauties?

The lattice is made from 6K Carbonfiber TOW and Paulonia. It's very similar to Balsa, but much more consistent in density. Also some large plantations of it here in Australia and I've got a mate who builds Surf Boards with it, so I have a ready supply of his off cuts.

I've worked hard at getting an even response across all the strings and all of these have that.

There are varying views of how a lattice braced instrument should be built, from Greg Smallman who is one of the pioneers that makes his back and sides very heavy and un-responsive, to others that use the lattice as a means of bracing a lighter than possible top in a conventional manner, but still use the back and sides for their effect. I'm in the latter group right now.

Aloha Allen,
Just curious, what does the ukulele with rope bindings, red cedar top and New guinea rosewood sell for?
And do you have a website under Barron River Guitars? Thanks for the response, pic's and sharing your
finished works of mass beauty. You may say you're a hobbist, but I see a definete passion within your
works. Do you ever use old world timber or is it too costly? Thanks also for keeping the ukulele movement
alive in Australia. Take Care and Best Wishes!!! Aloha MM Stan

I've got $550 on that one Stan. It's got an oil finish and has been used as a demo so has some very light strumming marks on the soundboard.

I've got a huge selection of timber. Much of it from around the world. Enough to keep me busy for decades really, but it doesn't stop me from buying new stuff whenever is see something I can't live without. Most of it is in guitar set size but I can always get 2 ukes, and sometimes 3 out of a guitar set.

That Guinea Rosewood looks pretty good. Just curious, did you use a continuous (piano) hinge or something else?
Again, very fine work Allen.
Fred

3 brass hinges

And my website is Barron River Guitars

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha Allen,
You're website is awesome, and more unbeliveable ukuleles. Now I confused, new choices WOW....I'm like a kid in the candy store now....
gotta think about it.....BTW there's another posting on blushing above yours, I think Chuck Moore thinks you can help this chap out....
Until next time, Many Thanks Keep making them wonderful ukes......MM Stan

Very nice web site Allen. Some really great looking instruments presented very well.
BTW, there's a link error on your 'for sale' page.
The Brazilian Mahogany Weissenborn pic goes to a Banksia Uke.

Thanks for that. I thought I had fixed that link a while back, but I guess not. Been done now though.

It also needs a lot of updating, that I just never seem to get around too.

Top Bottom