Bookmatched neck? Bruko/Brueko Ukulele

6stringconvert

Reaction score
Hi,

This looks interesting, a lovely Brueko long neck flame maple soprano:

http://www.brueko.de/shop/product_i....html&XTCsid=4c186bc8e4375c8890b537bcd9d72854

It appears to me that the neck is bookmatched!!! (the whole length of the neck is made from a bookmatched piece of flame maple)

118_0.JPG

118_1.JPG

118_2.JPG

Never seen this on a uke before...

Cheers, 6sc

Last edited:
The German page says pretty much the same thing: the top and back are bookmatched but there's nothing about the neck, except that it is made of flamed maple. If you want to be sure to get a bookmatched neck I would just say so - I've found Hubert (Pfeiffer) to be very open to requests and suggestions.

Aloha 6stringconvert,
I was wondering, what do you mean????Book matched neck or book matched head veneer where the tuners are?
HMM....Let us know, thanks....Keep on vibrating them strings......Uke ON,,,,, MM Stan...

If you look at the pictures you'll see that there appears to be a seam down the middle of the neck with the figure going to left and right. If you'd like more details I could call them on Friday and ask about it.... Just let me know.

Aloha Erich - thanks for the offer, I'm not buying at the moment - got a baby 6stringconvert due in 4 weeks!!!

that's exactly what I mean - the entire neck is a bookmatched piece. I've never seen that on any instrument before - nice - I like it!!!

6sc

Reading this thread got me to check out my long neck Maple Ukulele from Brueko. Top and bottom are made out of one piece ! The neck on my Brueko is split with a darkwood insert on Hubert's recommendation. My friend and myself had two built, one with an arched back and the other with a straight back.

The neck on my Brueko is split with a darkwood insert on Hubert's recommendation...

Ours is mahogany with an ebony stripe. We knew we wanted a skunk stripe from the beginning, so Hubert didn't need to encourage us. What I haven't seen that much is the split neck without a contrasting stripe in the middle. But the pics certainly do look nice.

Perhaps I don't have a correct understanding of the term "bookmatching" - I thought it implied that the grain on two pieces of wood would line up directly. That doesn't seem to be the case in these photos.

But I hasten to add, I think these look GREAT.

It does match up perfectly. What you are seeing is the grain runout that is giving the wood it's figure.

In simple terms if you take say the right side, the grain is running up, down, up, down. On the left book-matched side it is running down, up, down, up.

Grain patterns will often match up well while the curl within it "appears" not to. That's just the nature of curly wood. When you look closely, one curl may be coming toward you (convex) while it's book matched mate will be going away from you (concave). It can give the illusion that it's not matched when it really is. It's especially noticeable on woods that have a more subtle grain pattern such as maple.

EDIT: Allen jumped in while I was typing. What he said. BTW, that explanation also makes for a nice strumming pattern. :)

What Allen and Chuck said. It's the nature of flamed wood that it flip-flops when the boards are bookmatched - you can see it very clearly on the top and back.

When it comes to flamed maple, Brueko have been doing it for many years so they really have it down. If you ask I think you can get a blanco with flamed maple for everything: top, sides, back, neck and fretboard. The only thing I haven't seen is a maple bridge, but I would ask about that - maybe they have a nice piece that would do the trick.

Here are two photos just before the instruments were sent out to us !
You will notice that there is no book matching.

riegel1..JPGriegel2..JPG

Top Bottom