Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New girl living in Germany: Hello, hello!

Good advice! ^^
    You should mos def go to Hawai'i. It will be more than a passing phase.
    Welcome to UU and da life.

Everyone here seems extremely nice. It's great of you guys to make me feel welcome! Also exciting: I survived Monday! Though, class on Monday always bums me out. :|

My ukulele should arrive Wednesday/Thursday of this week. I'm pretty excited about it, I'm not going to lie.

I read somewhere around here that a lot of your ukuleles have names. Any tips in picking out a good one?
    Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. - G. K. Chesterton

My ukulele has unfortunately not even been SHIPPED yet. They said it should arrive between yesterday and Friday and now I don't have much hope of receiving it before my upcoming 4-day weekend. I was so looking forward to practicing! I thought I was going to be a ukulele super star come Monday!

A sad tale.
    Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. - G. K. Chesterton

A sad tale, indeed.

I wouldn't name your ukulele until you hold it/her/him in your hands. You'll know what to name to call your ukulele after that.

Where in Germany are you? We have a few UU members there. One of our moderators lives in Berlin.

IT'S SHIPPED. Posting here brought me good luck.

I'm in Mainz, Germany. Watching the football game at the moment. Very disappointed with Germany's midfield. Booo.

Hope it arrives on Friday!

Hooray!!

Hi
    I am a complete noob too (only my 3rd day as a uke owner) so I have no uke advice, however, as for the starting/stopping problem ? Try this.
    The 'key' period is 21 days.... studies have shown that if you can repeat a new task for 21 consecutive days then there is a 95% success rate.
    That is to say that if you wish to form (or break) any new habit then all you need do is set aside 15 minutes (?) a day for practice & repeat this for 21 days then this new'chore' turns into a 'habit', it becomes normal & natural to do this daily. It really helps to get a calendar set your start date & tick off the days as you go. I have used this methoid for other things before & it really works ! I am using it again with my new uke. Good luck.

Any more experienced players want to comment\advise regarding the 15 minutes a day to start ?

By the way, you say you live in Germany but I would guess, from the the way you write, that English is your first language not your second ?
    If not then I am astonished.

Hey stannson.

This "21-days" idea sounds like a very good one to me. I'm definitely going to try it out. I'll hang a calendar on the wall an make sure I practice at least 15 minutes every day. Thanks very much!

Yes, English is my first language. I grew up in the US and moved here to Germany to attend University. It took me a while to get my German to the mandatory level but now it's full steam ahead.

Looks like we'll be learning the ukulele together. I wish us both much success! x

Congratulations on your decision to get a ukulele and ditto on your linguistic abilities. I am a full-time professional German -> English translator and speak pretty good German, but the idea of doing a university course in English would frighten me, let alone in another language. Well done! - and especially as most Americans are worse than we Brits when it comes to learning foreign languages. We are few and far between and can consider ourselves part of an élite group - Yanks and Limeys that speak more than one language and play the ukulele!!
    Ko'olau Pono PTO solid mahogany tenor (2009)

hi, willkommen im schönen rheinland-pfalz. :)
    i hope you find it as cozy as i do.^^

Thread Information