Got into the koa this afternoon :)

dave g

Reaction score
Started cutting up this really nice hunk of koa today:

150.jpg

This is about half of it (about 2" x 4" x 29" rough); going to be two sopranos. I'm going to make them entirely of koa, except for ebony nuts & saddles.

This stuff is great to work with - bends easy, machines well, and it's so darn pretty :)

Any Koa pineapples in your future?

mmm...very pretty stuff. I hope those saw marks sand out with no problem
I'm a big fan of the pineapple idea too

Progress!

150b.jpg

150c.jpg

They will end up being the same over-all length - just kinda floppy still at this stage :)

I ought to get the backs glued on later today.

Beauty Dave, love the Spanish heel. Somehow I'm guessing those Koa pineapples are going to be great sellers. I may have to put my firstborn up on Craigslist.

That was quick Dave...Did you still use the soundboard running under the fretboard trick ?..even in Koa they still have that unique "Waverly St" look about them..I recon if I came across one in the UK, I would be able to recognise it from ten yards away. I wouldn't mind having a play on one as well.:)

In my most humble and totally unbiased opinion that Koa pineapple has to be your finest work. Someone got an excellent instrument at a great price. Was the buyer a forum member?

Thanks! The pineapple is still up for sale. The figure-eight I'm holding for a cousin of mine who is coming to visit next week.

Top Bottom