What not to miss in Oahu

rklicsu

Reaction score
Hey all,

Heading over to Oahu next month and thought I would ask my Ukulele Underground amigos what essential "to do's" you recommend. Anything cool you would recommend to do or see? Anything we should really not miss? Any cool local spots we should check out? Interested in checking out any Ukulele places (stores/ manufactures), Tiki, music, bars, restaurants, cool stuff, etc...anything really.

Please help me out here.

Thanks so much in advance.

Don't miss the north shore, and of course don't miss the shrimp wagons when you get there. :D

Don't miss the north shore, and of course don't miss the shrimp wagons when you get there. :D

Thanks so much Kateri, I'll be sure to do that.

I should also mention we will be there late July (if there are any date specific events).

Again, THANKS!

I hear that the Kamaka factory gives tours. You can go to their website and check it out. Personally, I'd reccomend that you go on at least one hike somewhere. The hikes here are pretty nice. And if you're looking for some more extreme stuff to do around here...check out this Honolulu Magazine article...

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/June-2008/Outdoor-Adventures608/

They also have a nice piece on Waikiki on that site too. Have fun!

Hawaiian shave ice is a must do, any shave ice stand worth its shavings will have a couple dozen flavors to choose from (like lichee nut, or li hing mui anyone?). Kailua Beach park is one the best in the islands, very understated, plus its my hometown...

Last edited:
dont forget about the food you have to try, especially musibi and saimin! totally a hawaii thing right there.

And also, since it's summertime that means it's bon dance season! You should definitely go to a bon dance. Great food, and good fun dancing!

Last edited:
try to avoid kalihi,waipahu, some other places that have "gang" activity, people get robbed and stuff. we have the ghetto too! except theyre usually filled with filipino/micronesians (no offense, just saying)

Hey. My advice to you....no matter what you are doing and where you going...do not leave anything in the car. If you think, "oh, were just going to stop at this scenic site for a minute or two", thats already too late. Criminals here know what kind of vehs are used by the rental agencys and they break into tourist cars everyday. How do I know this? I work for the Police Department and have to take information for a police report everyday. Hawaii is "paradise" be we have just as much crime as anywhere else in the US. Enjoy yourself, but don't get so relaxed as to let your guard down.

with that said, go check out the Aloha Stadium swap meet. Hawaiian adventures water park is good too.

Hawaiian shave ice is a must do

Totally second that....my personal favorite is Waiola's (Haupia flavor!), in town, close to the university/off King st (not the Kapahulu one closer to waikiki!).

Hmm...if you like hiking, there are some beautiful and very accessible hikes in Manoa/Tantalus (Honolulu).

If you're an early riser, check out the sunrise at Sandy's beach.

Hanauma Bay is a bit touristy, but still way cool!

Best Thai food around - Spices on South King St! There are some other neat little restaurants by Diamond Head too, on Monserrat. Diamond Head cove is pretty popular. Haha, the owner's dog starred on the show Lost.

Just some of my favs...

Last edited:
for shave ice i go to shimazu's store on school street. they dont have the flaky ice machine, but the powdery one. i always get the lilikoi, li hing flavor combo. cant go wrong

i think its funny the police is telling us to check out the swap meet where they sell CHOKE illegal stuff

We all know that, but as far as a big attraction, tons of tourists go there. You know it aint all bad. I think the bigger attraction for a tourist is the Stadium Swamp meet rather than to go buy shave ice (which they probably dont know what it is in the first place).

Yeah, the Stadium Swap Meet is fun to go to. I used to go all the time. If your interested, there's 2 stalls that sell ukes. If they are still there, one is on the east side and the other one is on the north end. They don't sell name brands though the last time I checked. They got some good deals though.

LOL for the best shave ice you should go to all the places people listed...Shimazu's, Matsumoto's, Waiola's.....and decide which one you like best, everyone has a different fav! ;)

and if you're in the mood for some super good but super cheap sushi....sushiman at the corner of waialae and dole st can't be missed!

i miss hawai'i :(

The best inexpensive (well, not that cheap, but not expensive) japanese restaurant is Gyotaku on King St. Their Poki Don and Misoyaki Butterfish are my favorites. The chocolate fountain at Osho at Ala Moana Center in the Hookipa Terrace above Shirokiya is really cool to look at, but I think Osho is way over priced (although the food was good for a buffet).

Also, the Made in Hawaii Festival (Aug 15-17) is kind of commercialized, but definitely worth going to. We ended up having to buy another suitcase at Costco last year because we bought so much stuff to bring back.:uhoh:

Top Bottom