Extreme Build offer US

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
One of the principles behind the extreme build is that people come to my workshop, benefit from my familiar environment and cooking - I am right in my comfort zone. For a group of 4 the cost is £375 each and this includes kits plus 2 days tuition; any less than that it is the full price of £425. Just Goggle a converter to see how much this is in dollars.

The main problem with 'remote' build is insurance and logistics. In Finland this summer I will be working with 10 students in a high school workshop with an assistant - it's planned over 4 days and includes accommodation etc. So we are covered. This would be much more difficult in the US plus there would be travel costs. So you guys, how about this:

I have a 'travel' kit that would enable me to conduct 'house builds'. Prior to my 'house call' I send out your kit and then spend 2 days in your home workshop helping you with the build - I know you've all got basements or garages with a modest amount of kit... The whole insurance thing would then be on your head. You would feed me and give me a place to lay my head and we'd aim in your workshop to replicate what I do in mine. I'd then move on to another build and do this for 6 slots over a 2 week period starting Monday with someone putting me up for 3 days so I can attend Church on Sunday and relax!

So here's the deal: If there were 6 of you in California that could all co-ordinate over a 2 week period I'd love to fly out and help you 'extreme build' one of my tenor kits in your workshop. I could keep the cost to around $675 each...

I'd love to do this: A 4 day shoe making course in New York (without food or accommodation) costs anything from $1195 - $1795... just for comparison :)

Last edited:
Pete, a most generous offer.
Just thinking out loud here.
In looking at your schedule; is it correct to assume that the time frame would be August - September?
Does your plan include renting a car? I'm thinking of how you would get from Northern Ca. to Southern Ca. for example. About a four hour drive I think.
When you say the insurance would be on us; Let's say, God forbid, you put your finger through my band saw just bad enough for me to take you to the hospital and all that's required is a couple of stitches (I'm trying to minimize the hypothetical injury). Would that have to be covered under my health insurance?

Good point - I would be fully covered by my travel insurance. As a point of interest, my extreme builds involve the use of just one machine - a drill press. However I am jig designing for the 'home workshop build' model so I can do away with that.

If this is to run, it is very important that I get the 6 builds and then negotiate the logistics of traveling. In my experience, a build takes 15 hours - 9 on the first day and 6 on the next. It would be a matter of plotting the builds from North through South of any state - I was using California as an example. The course fee of around $675 (might be more but certainly not less) is to take into account travel. I'm not making much money here but part of the fun will be meeting neophyte builders and helping them along. Of course the ideal is to have it in one place over 4 days like Finland's build but this is not possible with the appetite for litigation the US is anecdotally famous for!

Let's say, God forbid, you put your finger through my band saw just bad enough for me to take you to the hospital and all that's required is a couple of stitches (I'm trying to minimize the hypothetical injury). Would that have to be covered under my health insurance?

You would be covered under your homeowner's insurance if the build takes place in your home workshop.

Shoemaking course is [video]http://handmadeshoes.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/new-york-shoe-making-courses-registration-site/[/video] and there are 6 videos on YouTube of the maker showing how to build alaceup and stiched mens shoe. If I had the time and money I'd do it tomorrow!

Top Bottom