Northern Virginia -- Lake Anne Ukulele Festival July 10th

Timgre

Reaction score
I didn't see this on here, so I thought I'd share.
More info on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=127406270633187&ref=mf

EVENT DETAILS
What: Lake Anne Plaza – 1st Annual Ukulele Festival
When: July 10, 2010
Where: Lake Anne Plaza (Waterfront) - 1609 Washington Plaza, Reston, VA 20190
Time: 9:00AM-2:30PM
Cost: Free, Rain or Shine

Sun, fun, and tropical tunes will take over the waterfront of Lake Anne when the 1st Annual Ukulele Festival takes place on Saturday, July 10, 2010 from 9:00AM-2:30PM in the heart of historic Reston. The music festival will feature performances by several internationally known and local ukulele musicians, music demonstrations, open to the public jam session, festival vendors, and other family friendly activities. The event will take place during the ever popular weekly Saturday Farmers Market and the open air arts & craft market – blending music, food, and art - paired with a beautiful waterfront setting.

Headlining the festival will be the popular Baltimore-based singer/songwriter Victoria Vox, who in May released her fifth album titled Exact Change. The festival will also include Bruce Hutton (old-time folk), Gordon and Debbie Valasco (Hawaiian, jazz), Marv and Kathy Reitz (country western, swing), Hoa Mele Wakinekona (Hawaiian), and ukulele blue man and contemporary singer Lily Bui. There will also be a special surprise appearance by a Grammy award winning contemporary folk group.

Performance Schedule:
9:00AM Hoa Mele Wakinekona
9:30AM Lily Bui
9:45AM Deach
10:00AM Kathy & Marv Reitz
10:30AM Bruce Hutton
11:00AM Gordon & Debbie Velasco
11:30AM Victoria Vox
12:30PM Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer
1:30PM Open Jam Session (public participation welcomed)

The festival is hosted by the Northern Virginia Ukulele Ensemble and is sponsored by the Lake Anne Merchants, Reston Community Center, House of Musical Traditions, and the Institute of Musical Traditions.

Will this be happening again in 2011?

Will this be happening again in 2011?

Looks like it.

July 9, 9-2:30PM
2nd Annual Uke Fest
Lake Anne Plaza
Free Event

I'm only a couple hours south, but I think I have to fly to the west coast for a work conference that weekend. Poo.

If this happens, I could actually be there... That's not much of a drive for me. Woo.

haha -- just bring your uke w/ you -- you'll prolly find ukers everywhere!

Crap! Why couldn't it be that Sunday? :(

^ oh noes! You all can't attend?

*feels sad*

Well, maybe see you at the Stomp!

More info about the 7/9/11 Lake Anne (Reston, VA) Ukulele Fest.

The 2nd Annual Lake Anne Ukulele Festival will take place on Saturday, July 9, 2011 from 11:00AM-5:30PM at Lake Anne Plaza, 1609 Washington Plaza, Reston, VA 20190 (at North Shore Dr. & Village Rd.). The free music festival will feature performances by several internationally known and local ukulele musicians, music demonstrations, open to the public jam session, beer/wine garden, festival vendors, and other family friendly activities. The event will kick off during the ever popular Saturday Farmers & Arts/Craft Market. Headlining the festival on Saturday will be acoustic blues queen Del Ray. Del will also offer fingerstyle blues workshops for ukulele and guitar on Sunday (see below).

Del Rey plays concerts worldwide and also conducts concert/lectures on women musicians called Women in American Music. She has contributed to projects in honor of The Mississippi Sheiks, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Johnny Cash. Del Rey has recorded five solo albums, Blue Uke (2008), When The Levee Breaks (2006), X-Rey Guitar (2000), Hot Sauce (1995) and Boogie Mysterioso (1993). The festival will also include special guests and Grammy award winning artists Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer and other performers such as Hoa Mele Wakinekona (Hawaiian), Bruce Hutton (old-time, folk), Marcy’s Potted Plants, The Aloha Boys (Hawaiian), and local duo The Sweater Set.

Performance Schedule:
11:00AM Hoa Mele Wakinekona
11:30AM The Sweater Set
12:15PM Bruce Hutton
1:00PM Marcy’s Potted Plants
1:30PM Aloha Boys
2:15PM Fink & Marxer
3:30PM Del Rey
4:30PM Open Jam Session (public participation welcomed)

Admission is free. Festival takes place Rain or Shine. www.lakeanneplaza.com

Ukulele and Guitar Workshops
with
Del Rey
“Seattle-based queen of fingerstyle blues”

Sunday July 10, 2011
Lake Anne Plaza
North Shore Drive and Village Road, Reston Virginia 20190

Introduction To Fingerpicking the Ukulele, 1:00-2:15 pm
For you strummers, here's a song that will get you started using your right hand in a different way. Papa Charlie Jackson's "Mama Don't You Think I Know," a funny old tune in C with an easy-to-hear fingerpicking pattern, will get you started picking out ragtime and blues tunes on the uke. Students should be able to play C, C7, F, F7 and G7 without hesitation.

Blue Uke, 2:30-3:45 pm
Intermediate (be comfortable with first position chords and be able to keep time)
Blues, rags and old songs for the ukulele, with a focus on fingerpicking the melody. Tunes like the Mississippi River Waltz, Tappin’ That Thing (Memphis Jug Band) and Tired Chicken (Gus Cannon)...by ear, no TAB.

Moving Bass lines for Fingerstyle Guitar, 4:00-5:15 pm
Intermediate-Advanced
Want to play like a pianist? Walking and boogie-woogie bass lines for fingerstyle guitar. Learn the positions where you can find both chords and moving bass. Standard tuning. Recorders ok.
Workshops are $25 each.
For information, or to register, contact Ann Granger at 703-470-3038 or AnnThePotter@gmail.com.
Space is limited so sign up early. You will be given the exact location when you register.

Top Bottom