Vintage Ukulele Story

Raygf

Reaction score
Jared Denhard asked me to teach 2 classes for the Columbia, MD ukulele symposium last Saturday, a beginners class and an intermediate/advanced class. We were standing in the lobby and I asked him where the beginners were? A woman walked up and said. "I'm a beginner." Under her arm was a chipboard case. She opened the end of the case and removed and handed to Jared a 1915 Kumalae soprano ukulele that her aunt had in a cabinet in New Zealand for many, many years. I was shaking inside when I held it. This thing was in excellent shape, one friction tuner was replaced, light as a feather, nice action, no neck warp and played in tune. We both told her that it was very valuable and that she should take good care of it. This thing is a museum piece. I told her she should keep it humidified and only play it at home. I would be afraid to take it out of the house. Amazing what is out there in people's homes. She played it Saturday night in the symposium ensemble. I hope to see her and the ukulele again.
Regards,
Ray

http://www.ukulele.org/?Inductees:2002-2003:Jonah_Kumalae

Aloha Raygf,
Thanks for sharing the nice story, speaking of stories...I betcha if that kumalae could
talk it could tell some stories...1915 Kumalae in a New Zealand Cabinet for many years....
HMMM....Every so often you hear about these amazing stories, makes you think when
is it gonna be me!!!!Mahalos again, Ray....MM Stan..

AMAZING story. Wow!
Thanks

Top Bottom