Is there something seriously wrong with me?

Jerlial Prophet

Reaction score
I just got my first Uke, a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert, a couple of weeks ago. I love this thing. I've been a guitar player for years but recently got a bug about getting a uke. So, since I've received the uke, I've only played guitar one time. I even have a special order Taylor 812c on its way and I hardly even care. All I can think about is a way to get my wife to let me get a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Is there something seriously wrong with me? I guess my GAS (of the guitar variety) was just replaced with UAS.

Nope. Same thing happened to me. I've been a bass player for nearly 30 years, and I also have a decent old Yamaha acoustic guitar (which admittedly I didn't play much anymore already). Since I started playing ukulele about a year and a half ago, the only times I touch a bass are when I am gigging or practicing with a band. I don't think I've touched my guitar more than two or three times. But I spend at least an hour nearly every day playing a uke. I love it! I also love bass, but it's just not as much fun to play by myself.

Answered in the first phrase of your first sentence.

Is there something wrong with you?

"I just got my first Uke..."

Yep... you're done for...

Aloha Jerlial,
Welcome to the UU, and congrats on all of your recent purchases...We've all got the
same urges here...so you're not alone....is it normal ..who cares...
The ukulele is very addicting, and so is buying them....
Enjoy the journey!!! "Keep strumming them strings...Ukuleles are forever!!
Uke On!! MM Stan..

I just got my first Uke, a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert, a couple of weeks ago. I love this thing. I've been a guitar player for years but recently got a bug about getting a uke. So, since I've received the uke, I've only played guitar one time. I even have a special order Taylor 812c on its way and I hardly even care. All I can think about is a way to get my wife to let me get a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday. Is there something seriously wrong with me? I guess my GAS (of the guitar variety) was just replaced with UAS.

I always wanted to play guitar and last year I bought three within 6 months. Then my girlfriend told me she wanted to buy me a ukulele. She paid for my Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert which I bought from this website as my first contact with the Ukulele Underground. Now I rarely touch my guitars. I am on Ukulele Underground every day. I bought a KoAloha Super Concert to satisfy my UAS, but still find myself lusting over everything from a Kala Watermelon ukulele ($80) to a Collings UC3K ($2,500). Someday I will continue on my quest to learn to play the guitar. But the uke and has taken over my life. I need that "Obsession" show on A&E to come save me.

Welcome to the club. You are doomed. The Ukulele just makes music fun.

Last edited:
Definitely something wrong with you. Welcome to the asylum (run by inmates).

Is there something seriously wrong with me?
There is something seriously wrong with you and I have the same problem.
3 months ago I bought a ukulele for my birthday and I now cannot put it down. I have a line of guitars and basses hung on my wall: Gibson, Fender, Rickenbacker etc. and I have stopped playing them.
Penster

It's ok, this forum is full of guitar/bass players who have abandoned their original instruments for the brilliant and majestic creature known as a ukulele.

There is nothing wrong with you. You are one of us. Welcome. Start saving your $, you WILL buy that PS. And then maybe a Mainland, or a Mele, or a Kanilea, or a .....

I tend to go through phases where I play guitar more than uke, and uke more than guitar - but generally I play them both regularly. It'll be the fact that you've just discovered the uke, and it's something different so at the moment it interests you more. They can live side by side, don't worry about it.#

Welcome to the club.

I used to play the guitar and had many nice ones over the years. I got disinterested in the guitar and sold my last one about 2 years ago. A couple of months ago I bought myself a Uke. It has rekindled an old flame. It's like falling in love all over again. Makes me think of the old song "Then there was you". Enjoy and be happy.

I have played both ukulele and guitar for over forty years. I played ukulele prior to taking up guitar. I was given my first uke in the early 1960s. That gives you the time-frame. My first guitar came after the uke and my first decent acoustic guitar (Decca dreadnaught) came around 1968, followed about two years later by a vintage archtop Gretsch Electromatic.

Oh, the same thing happened to me. Then, I tried to go back to the guitar and my fingers refused to stretch over the big fret and wanting to play uke chords on the guitar. It was a disaster.

I tried to go back to the guitar and my fingers refused to stretch over the big fret and wanting to play uke chords on the guitar. It was a disaster.

So would you say it's an advantage or a disadvantage not having played guitar (or anything else with strings) before attempting to learn the uke?

So would you say it's an advantage or a disadvantage not having played guitar (or anything else with strings) before attempting to learn the uke?

Being able to play guitar before I started the uke was a huge advantage. It was easier to pick up on chords, strumming, and all the technical aspects. It also depends on the person, really. It took me a while to figure out the guitar, but because I had the basics down on that, the uke was easy to catch onto. It was harder to switch back to the guitar, because my fingers had grown so used to being cramped! Personally, I think it would be harder to go from playing the uke to learning the guitar, but the other way around would be easier? Not sure.

Wanting a Pineapple Sunday would be rational even if you owned three hundred ukes.

One of the things I love about ukulele and guitar is that they blend well together. The guitar really fills in the low end while the ukulele provides great accents and nice strum patterns. On some songs, though, I prefer playing ukulele and some I prefer guitar. I have a baritone uke at all times in my collection, typically more than one, and when I want fullness without the volume of guitar, the baritone gives me that. It's also cool to play songs like Dust In the Wind on baritone.

Top Bottom