Grain Filling

6stringconvert

Reaction score
Does filling the grain alter the sound capabilities of an instrument, or is it largely done for asthetics.

Mahalo, 6sc

ps: please don't turn this thread into a 'my uke is better than yours cause it's grain filled". :)

I think it's largely aesthetic. If anything it would alter the sound for the worse, because it's making solid wood a little more like plywood. It would only make a very small difference, however.

Good question there, for me..I have a Oscar Schmidt and when I bought it I noticed it was
alright but little softer sounding side..doing nothing else except polishing it with three coats of
polish and playing it, I noticed it was just a little louder afterwards..Not sure if the string was breaking in
or not, but noticed just the first strum after polishing. I examined the uke and saw that
the grain of the wood was filled with the polish. I don't know what to think. Thinking
about it logically, does a filled grain ukulele contain the sound better than one that is not????
Sorta like french polishing...What do you guys or girls think????
BTW- sounded I think a little better too!!! Also I had the satin finish....

Last edited:
In that it may allow the builder the ability to apply a thinner overall finish, it could be beneficial to the sound.

Brad

Top Bottom