Can a mandolin be tuned to GCEA or DGBE?

Hi Jim,

With the right string gauges you could probably tune a mando to the notes you asked about. If you Google "string gauge calculator" you should find facilities that can help you with that. Tip: mandolin scale length is around 14".

That said, why not learn to play mandolin in its native tuning, which is GDAE in ascending 5ths? It's a great tuning - espcially for tunes in the keys of G and D major. Mandolin shines more as a melody instrument than as a strummed chord accompaniment instrument.

Mandolin is a great instrument in its own right. Sure you can tune it to Chicago or uke tuning, but you'd be missing out. ;)

I have a mandolin, but my only obstacle to learning is that there's a huge lack of resources on the internet, compared to ukulele. I'm progressing slowly, though.

My Mandolin is tuned to GCEA, and I haven't had any trouble with it.

Reviving an old thread a bit, but better than starting a new one I guess.

I was looking to buy an 8 string uke, but lack the funds. Would it be possible to convert a mandolin to a gGcCEEAA?

Just to specify, I am looking at the Brunswick MDL25.

Last edited:
One significant difference between a ukulele and a mandolin which you may not have noticed is that ukuleles have nice wide necks and mandolins have tiny little narrow necks. Very hard to finger. I don't know how they do it. Try one in your own hands first.

Anthony

Thanks, I noticed this, it will personally probably be better for me to be honest! I will have to try it out first though.

I guess buying strings will be tough too. I imagine a combination of mandolin strings and ukulele strings would work.

Hello,

My girlfriend has a eletric mandolin that belonged to her grandfather and neither one of us has the time to learn the mandolin, since we are busy with the university and her studying drums and me learning CGBD plectrum banjo, so using that mandolin in a already known tuning by the both of us is the way to go.

I already calculated the gauges and recently bought single strings on Strings By Mail. I made a set based on the tensions of a light mandolin D'addario set.

The gauges are: .038w .028w .022w .016p (GCEA Low G). Theorically it is suposed to work because the tensions are even, but I'm not sure it will sound OK, as this set have 3 courses of wound strings and the other mando sets have only 2.

If you wait I can keep you posted if I have success or failure, but I really don't when it will arrive. International First Class Mail may take some time, usually 1 month or so, and probably the holidays delayed it.

Last edited:
One significant difference between a ukulele and a mandolin which you may not have noticed is that ukuleles have nice wide necks and mandolins have tiny little narrow necks. Very hard to finger. I don't know how they do it. Try one in your own hands first.

Anthony

This was something both my husband and his guitar virtuoso little brother wondered about. Their dad has a mandolin, and all their biases against uke were due to this mandolin. When I got my first uke, my husband saw the sense of the design.. Finally a neck made for human hands! When his little brother saw my tenor Fluke, same reaction. It was, hey this is PLAYABLE by human beings! He bought it off me that day.

If you play mandolin and love it, more power to you.

Just wondering, why do you want to do that?

I've tried mando in uke tuning, and in my opinion, the neck is just too think to comfortable play uke chord fingerings. On the other hand, in regular mando tuning I can play basic mando chords just fine on it.

You can get an Oscar Schmidt 8-string uke for under $100 with free shipping.

- FiL

Another thing to take in to account is string tension; if you plan to tune it GCEA with mando strings, they'll be a lot harder to deal with than uke strings, as they are steel and the tension is fierce! I'm having a really hard time trying to learn to play the mandolin after dealing with nice soft uke strings for so long. If you use uke strings, why not just stick with a uke?

As was said in another post, why not just learn to play the mando? Another weapon in your arsenal!

I have not read the entire thread..but why would you want to tune a mandolin like a uke..why not just play and tune a uke like a uke..

i have never played a mandolin..but just wondering what you are thinking..

Basically I want an 8 string uke but have no money.
I was planning on swapping all the strings out for nylon too, of appropriate gauge, so tension/steel wouldn't be a problem.
Also, I live in UK so the Oscar Schmidt is out of the picture due to import and postage fee's.
I was thinking my best option would be a wooden flat bodied mandolin!

Basically I want an 8 string uke but have no money.
I was planning on swapping all the strings out for nylon too, of appropriate gauge, so tension/steel wouldn't be a problem.
Also, I live in UK so the Oscar Schmidt is out of the picture due to import and postage fee's.
I was thinking my best option would be a wooden flat bodied mandolin!

right on..that makes sense i think?? Haha

i hope i can meet people like you who have the passion to play the ukulele..if you were in my area i would of been glad to let you try/borrow one of mine..although i don't have or really see many 8 strings
good luck keep on strumming!

Yes, you will have a problem.

Mandos are built for the higher tension of steel strings, with a thicker top and heavier bracing. Nylon strings will not have enough "oomph" to power the top and the sound will be quiet and weak.

Putting nylon strings on an instrument built for steel, however, will not damage the instrument like putting steel strings on an instrument built for nylon. In the latter case, the extra tension can warp the neck, lift the bridge off and/or cause the top to cave in.

Give it a try and let us know how it turns out. I'm interested. If you can get a cheap mando, then why not? If it doesn't work, you can always learn to play the mandolin!

I don't know how mandolin players can stand those thin necks combined with doubled strings. I got an Eastwood electric mandola and it's a cool little instrument but I had to give up because the awkwardness of it holds me back from playing it half as well as a uke.

Mandolin tuning is a lot of fun, though. Aquila fifths strings let you try it out on a uke. It's not so good for strumming chords but it's perfect for melody lines.

Top Bottom