Sanding tenor uke sides on a radius dish

mwaller

Reaction score
OK, so I'm about to start building a StewMac tenor uke kit. Have a 15' radius sanding dish for the back and a 25' radius sanding dish for the top.
Will it work to glue the kerf linings to the sides before I trim and sand the sides in the radius dish, or do I need to trim the sides and sand them in the radius dish before installing the linings?
Thanks!
Mika

You'll need to trim the back taper before gluing the linings. The dish sanding can be done with the linings, you won't lose much material sanding in the radius

Because the sides are already bent, I would simply follow the instructions, glue the linings first and trim the sides down to the linings with a small hand plane. That will provide for a relatively stiff rim and line to cut to and will give you the rough taper. Trying to cut down sides that are already bent and without stiffening of linings is no simple task. Now you can radius sand top and back for the final profile.
If the sides were still in the flat, would follow ksquines suggestion by rough cutting the back taper prior to bending. Remember the linings are installed lined up with the head and tail blocks. This will provide the guide to trim the sides to.

Top Bottom