My tuner sucks, or im stupid...

Eallend7

Reaction score
Okay so i have an Fzone FT-2000 C, clip on chromatic tuner, and its confusing me, it recognizes the G string as an F, the C string as some unrecognizable letter, but what looks to be a B i would assume, the E string as what looks like a D, and the E as a G....faulty tuner? suggestions? im clueless..i tuned it to whatever those letteres are and now it sounds like crap...

Edit: im a complet enovice to string instruments and really have no clue how to tune except wit ha tuner, i know there are the GCEA strings and i found them on the fret board, am i being a complete beginner here? or am i supposed to tune it to a certain "key"? please help before i embarrass myself further :p

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that particular tuner, but I'll give it a shot. Does it have different settings for different keys, or different instruments? For example, the tuner I use can be set for violin, guitar, bass, or chromatic (chromatic is what you want for uke). It also has a setting for frequency - if I accidentally bump that button then I get inaccurate results. The frequency should be set to 440.

no im pretty sure it doesnt have settings or anything, it has jsut one button and thats the on off button, i play a G on the G string a C on the C string and so forth, this is probably completely wrong but to me, a beginner, it seems brilliant haha, i tuned it to that, and it sounds aweful now hahah, so i know i did it wrong,

Edit: it does however say "a4 calibration: 440hz" so i guess thats good :p

Last edited:
Go here:

http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php

Tune each string close to what you hear. THEN using your chromatic tuner, pick each string in turn to get it tuned exactly. I sounds like you simply don't have the strings close to their expected note yet & the tuner is simply displaying the closest note to the one sounding. Once you get it in tune, you can keep it in tune w/the chromatic tuner, but getting it to the original tuning w/o some base note to match isn't going to work too well. (its the nature of the chromatic tuner). It doesn't care which string you are plinking, it simply displays what it hears.

You were right gmoney, they were just so far away from what they should be hahaha, a couple turns and the tuner found them :p thanks hahah, shes perfectly in tune now :) sounding great

It may be the other strings vibrating that give the false reading.

Your tuner doesn't suck, and you aren't stupid. Everything has a learning curve. Soon using that tuner will be intuitive and seem like the simplest thing in the world, but at first it's weird.

You were right gmoney, they were just so far away from what they should be hahaha, a couple turns and the tuner found them :p thanks hahah, shes perfectly in tune now :) sounding great

Troubleshot that one right down to the operator, eh? Of course that's never happened to me...

Enjoy that thing!

hi there sorry to butt in but im new to Ukulele and tuners
i have a clip on chromatic tuner JT-22B and i keep it on 440hz but on the bottom i can change it to show (b) or a double b (bb) or no b's showing and to be honest i dont have a clue
and the manual dont say anything much at all
so my question is what should be showing on the tuner when i tune my Ukulele
to GCEA
many thx

The b and bb indicate flat. As in flat or sharp. The best way to start out (as a beginner) is to tune directly without flats or sharps. So on your tuner, press the button until the b goes away. Then it will indicate for the natural note.

Top Bottom