Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions on buyin first uke

Question opinions on buyin first uke

hey all im new to the forum and playin the uke and was looking for some input on buying my first one. i plan on getting a "concert" ukulele so its slightly louder than a soprano. ive searched on musiciansfriend (ive done good business with them) and narrowed it down to 3 choices with good reviews. just looking for input from some experienced ukulele players and their thoughts on what would be the best option....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ele?sku=518976

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ele?sku=512521

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ele?sku=514017

Quote Originally Posted by ovation_89 View Post
    ..... i plan on getting a "concert" ukulele so its slightly louder than a soprano. ...
    Oh man I hope Howlin' Hobbit Doesn't open this thread....

Of the 3, I'd get the Lanikai.

Since you're goin' online for a purchase, you may as well check out MusicGuyMic. He has very good service, quality instruments and a number of members have ordered from him. Oops, forgot to mention he is a member here. Username=MGM . . . BTW, you can also call or email him if you have any questions.

i'd go with kanaka's advice and check out MGM. he typically provides free action setup and string changes for many of his ukes and his prices are hard to beat.

but of the three that you listed, i'd go with the lanikai. i bought the tenor version of that uke as my starter uke and i still use it now along with my pono uke.
    - Chuck
    I spend too much time YouTubing.

I heard that Oscar Schmidt ukes are wack. I would just go with the lanikai. One of the builders from kala made his own uke company which is now lanikai so you can expect the same quality. Plus....i play a lanikai.

Quote Originally Posted by 4strings707 View Post
    I heard that Oscar Schmidt ukes are wack. I would just go with the lanikai. One of the builders from kala made his own uke company which is now lanikai so you can expect the same quality. Plus....i play a lanikai.
    Erm, Mike Upton used to work for Hohner which owns Lanikai. He now has his own brand, Kala, and these ukes are made in the same factory as Lanikai.

Out of the three you mentioned, go for Lanikai - otherwise find a Kala or Ohana (the CK-10 Ohana makes is cheaper than the Lanikai and I reckon plays nicer and has better tone).

As everyone else has suggested, go with the Lanikai (given the choice of those 3). I'll also plug Kala in that price range and recommend you look up MGM and check out his eBay store. Great guy, great gear, bought a fabulous KoAloha concert from him and it was a great transaction.

Good luck and enjoy your new ukulele,

-John

I will back all of the good advice in this thread. MGM does an awesome job. I wish I'd known about him when I purchased my first ukulele.

I'll also plug Kala, as I am a happy owner of a tenor Kala.

I will say that after playing a really cheap uke for a year, stepping up to a nicer instrument was a real rush. I will give the advice to start as low as they go and move up, as you earn it!

peace and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    Oh man I hope Howlin' Hobbit Doesn't open this thread....
    Hah! Too late!

Quote Originally Posted by ovation_89 View Post
    i plan on getting a "concert" ukulele so its slightly louder than a soprano.
    A lot more goes into producing volume than just body size and scale length. So you definitely don't want to base your purchase on just that.

Quote Originally Posted by LonnaB View Post
    I will say that after playing a really cheap uke for a year, stepping up to a nicer instrument was a real rush. I will give the advice to start as low as they go and move up, as you earn it!
    While I admire people who persevere on their cheap ukuleles, I don't think you have to "earn" a nice(r) one. You get too far towards the low end and you end up with a USO* instead of an actual instrument.

I concur with the folks that recommend MusicGuyMic. I'd also definitely stay away from Oscar Schmidt. I had a OS2 Concert way back when and, while playable, it had no volume to speak of.

Lanikai ukes are inexpensive and every one that I've played has been a pleasant surprise. Decent tone, volume and setup right out of the gate. You'll get an especially good setup if you go through MusicGuyMic.

Good luck and enjoy your new ukulele, whatever you decide on!

*Ukulele Shaped Object
    Howlin' Hobbit -- got uke?
    Howlin' on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

I would go with a lanikai or a kala. Good ukes for their price.

Thread Information