Kamaka Baritone

cletus

Reaction score
I just picked up a Kamaka baritone that I found in Tempe. It appears to be in fine shape, I'll take it to Acoustic Vibes next week and have them take a look at it.
I think I want to put GCEA strings on it at first.
I'm pretty excited, there doesn't appear to be many of these instruments around.
Pictures to come...

Baritone Kamaka Here

Pictures are here. Yeah, pretty exciting!

Really nice looking uke. How much did you get it it for and do you know how old it is?

Nice find!!!!

I just picked up a Kamaka baritone that I found in Tempe. It appears to be in fine shape, I'll take it to Acoustic Vibes next week and have them take a look at it.
I think I want to put GCEA strings on it at first.
I'm pretty excited, there doesn't appear to be many of these instruments around.
Pictures to come...
Aloha Cletus,
A long time ago, I had a Kamaka Baritone white label, as I remember back then mine did not
have a deep clean tone, so I didn't keep it that long. Now with the newer strings, it could have
made alot of difference. Decisions you make and when you look back...HMMM Anyways congrats
on the score and let us know how it sounds and pic's!!! MM Stan...

Aloha Cletus,
It seems to be a white label and has been refinished..Am I right????Yours has that nice graining on both sides of the soundboard and back.
Mine was a satin finish lighter Koa..I'd say yours is circa...70's I hope you got a good price for it and was a private owner... Anyways it
looks in really good condition and ready to play.....jus slap sum new strings on that baby..and jam!! Very Happy for you!!!Personally I
like DGBE tuning on these Kamaka's...MM Stan....

Thanks for the info mm stan! It was a private owner, said he got it as a gift while living in Hawaii about 10 years ago. We were both happy with the price.
Anyway, I'm pleased to hear that you dig it.
Funnily enough, the thread yesterday about the Kamaka family on PBS was perfectly timed to help me decide.

Last edited:
I'm going to take it into the shop today. Looks like the fretboard and frets need some work, and new strings. We'll see what they say at Acoustic Vibes.
I've been checking out baritone players on youtube. I'm still thinking GCEA tuning for my new uke.

Good idea Cletus, is the strings buzzing...
BTW- check out on you tube an awesome young girl who is really good on the baritone..
You tube- Alyssamarie067 let me know what you think of her playin....
Good Luck and let us know how things turn out.....MM Stan...

Thanks, SWB. You helped influence the decision, so I'm glad you like.

Check out on you tube an awesome young girl who is really good on the baritone..
You tube- Alyssamarie067

Here's one of her videos. She says she uses DGBE tuning, and in a comment to another video she says her baritone uke is a Kamaka.

Last edited:
Amazing talent! Thanks. I can't wait for mine to get out of "rehab".

Cletus, I've seen A LOT of nice looking things in Tempe ;)...but nothing like that!

Nice find! Hopefully Jeff can help you get it fixed up.

Btw...there's a Wednesday night ukulele group in Tempe that starts back up again the beginning of September. You should stop by sometime!

~Michael

Nice find! Hopefully Jeff can help you get it fixed up.

Btw...there's a Wednesday night ukulele group in Tempe that starts back up again the beginning of September. You should stop by sometime!

~Michael
Thanks and thanks too for the invite! I'll look forward to meeting some uke folks.

Jeff was very nice to my wife and I and showed us some real treasures in his shop. A most incredible place, indeed.

Cheers!

Top Bottom