Where to Start in Hawaii?

Gary Jugert

Reaction score
Looks like I'm spending a week in Hawaii in October and I want to spend at least one day shopping for a new ukulele. Where would you suggest I start?

Dan's guitars, easy music center, one place in aloha tower, but its pricey.
dont ask me for directions, i dont know street names, i can show you how to get there, but not with streets and the like

Hmm, assuming you're staying in Waikiki, I was just there tonight, and visited a uke store that I never knew was there. I have no idea what it was called, but it's right there...inside one of those hotels near the Zoo. I wish I could be more helpful than that...but it's in one of those hotels...I'm sure someone else knows the one I'm talking about...

XD

Hmm, assuming you're staying in Waikiki, I was just there tonight, and visited a uke store that I never knew was there. I have no idea what it was called, but it's right there...inside one of those hotels near the Zoo. I wish I could be more helpful than that...but it's in one of those hotels...I'm sure someone else knows the one I'm talking about...

XD

it is the marriot hotel. you go to the end where its closest to the beach xD

Ukulele Puapua in Waikiki has an awesome selection of ukes...they're on the ground floor of one of the hotels...haha (I think it's the Pacific Beach Hotel...but I could be wrong).

I'd second Puapua. I purchased a KoAloha from them when I was in Hawaii. Great selection and great staff. The seemed very low pressure (granted I was serious about buying) which is exaclty what I look for in a shop. I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks if a shop's selection is great and they actually let me spend some time on an instrument.

I'm definitely going to stop back on my next trip. Gotta buy a good tenor some day. :)

-John

You can go to the Kamaka and Kanilea factories. Don't have their addresses, but I think kanaka916 has them with maps. You could also check out the Aloha Stadium Swap meet. There's two guys there that sell some not to bad ukes there for some decent prices.

i've also heard good things about hawaii music supply in wahiawa. never been there myself but they're pretty close to the ko'olau factory there and have a wide selection of ko'olau ukes for sale.... or so i've heard.

Talking about streets and hotels in Waikiki makes me REALLY want to go back...

largest retail selections are at Aloha ukulele and pua pua in Waikiki ...also the largest prices. But they are god places to try alot of different and high end brands. Bobs in the marriot also has a new store in the royal Hawaiian but also $$. After you figure whayou want head for ther local music stores that discount such as easy music, good guys and Hawaii music supply and Dans guitars....

Or go see this MGM guy on Ebay. I heard he lives on Oahu and has very competative pricing. He's even so nice he won't plug his own site!

`Ukulele Pua Pua is in the Pacific Beach Hotel, Bob's in the Waikiki Beach Marriott, Good Guys on Kapahulu (and Date, next to Starbucks/Jamba), Hawaii Music Supply in Wahiawa (on Kamehameha I believe), Easy Music Center in Aiea (on the cusp of Pearl City) on Kamehameha, Dan's Guitars is on Beretania (and McCully), Island Guitars in Ward Warehouse, Kamaka is on South St (I think), Kanile`a in Kaneohe on Kahuhipa (or around that area), KoAloha on Kohou - sorry, don't know the street for G-String, but Derek is in Halawa Valley.

When all is said and done, unless you're looking for a Kamaka, best to call MGM, then go to Zippy's. If you dig through his instruments and find a Kamaka Standard with a cracked back, please tell him to call me (he knows why).

Thanks!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll check them all out and plan the excursion. I own a Bushman tenor and a concert-sized resonator, so I figure it's time to replace my six-dollar soprano.

Top Bottom