What size string gauge for unwounded Low G string?

PeformanceUke

Reaction score
Hey,

I am trying to figure out what size string gauge would be used for a unwound low g setup? Does D'addario have a low g setup in pro arte style our does anyone know the string spec so i could Frankenstein my own string setup?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure that out too. I keep wearing through the winding on my low G Aquilla's, like one a week. I bought 2 sets and now only have the C, E, and A strings left. I wonder if I can use one of them to replace the bad G string.

I switched to Fremont Black fluorcarbon a few months ago and was quite pleased. No more squeaking. A couple weeks ago I switched to Worth CTLGs. I like them even better.

My Worth unwound low g strings are all 0.0358 inch or 0.91m/m according to the labels.

–Lori

Bruddah Iz used to do this with a regular High G (re-entrant) set of strings:
Low G Tuning Using A Set Of 'High G' Re-entrant Strings:
For G use the C string
For C use the E string.
For E Use the G string.
For A use the A string
I use it on my tenor and it works fine.The regular C in the G position lasts
just as long as the other strings,which wound strings never do!

Bruddah Iz used to do this with a regular High G (re-entrant) set of strings:
Low G Tuning Using A Set Of 'High G' Re-entrant Strings:
For G use the C string
For C use the E string.
For E Use the G string.
For A use the A string
I use it on my tenor and it works fine.The regular C in the G position lasts
just as long as the other strings,which wound strings never do!

One of the guys in town does that too. The only thing I've noticed is that the low G sound a little twangy. Also there isn't a lot of tension on the string either. At least that's what it feels and sounds like with Aquilas on a tenor.

Hello all,

We've found that a linear or "low 4th" tuning without wound strings just doesn't set up well on the 17" Tenor scale. You either get the loose tension misterpk speaks of, or your string is so thick you don't get good response.

We have a linear set without wound strings that gives both good response and tension. To do it, you have to go a bit thinner than the what most companies offer. What this means, is that on the 17" Tenor scale, your set-up is not in C, but in D, a la James Hill. To play these strings in C, put them on a standard 20" scale Baritone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, i installed the extra C string for my low G. So far so good but as you know, nylgut's take some time to break in. I'll let you know how it works out.

After a couple of weeks, my low-G set up is ok. I use a pick so maybe that makes it easier. Took a little longer to fully break in the string but I don't mind checking the tuning after each song. Still, I'm bothered, having the same gauge on adjacent strings. It just doesn't look right.

I think I will try the brown Worth's next. I assume that the G is not wound.
http://elderly.com/accessories/items/WSBTLG.htm

Trying strings made for classical guitar

Hi Ukers, this is my first post here. I came here after asking Google this question. As far as I can tell, the gauge for an unwound low G string (at least for my concert uke) should be about .035 or .036. None of the music stores in my city carry Worth ukulele strings, so I decided to try a D'Addario classical guitar string for my low G. I bought 2: a B and a G. I'm going to try the B string (.0322) first and if it seems too slack, I'll try the G. That one is .0403 and seems too heavy, but I really want a nice-sounding low G setup. I'll let you know how it goes.

So far, no good

I loved the sound of my Luna concert ukulele the first time I picked it up in the store, and it wasn't even tuned very well. Tonight, I tried a D'Addario G string for classical guitar (.0403 gauge) for a low-G string. It doesn't tune well at all. The tension seems pretty close to the tension on the other strings, but something about the intonation is way off. The string tuned to the G fairly well, but it just doesn't sound right. I will try one more low G experiment, but I may go back to the re-entrant tuning and a high G. That was the sound I originally loved from my uke.

I'm trying to figure that out too. I keep wearing through the winding on my low G Aquilla's, like one a week. I bought 2 sets and now only have the C, E, and A strings left. I wonder if I can use one of them to replace the bad G string.

You can buy the wound, low-G Aquila's individually from http://www.juststrings.com/aquilaukuleleothersinglestrings.html That's what I'm doing right now. I actually like the wound low G, it really rumbles my Islander Tenor and adds volume which I badly need since I play with guitar people most of the time.

my 2 cents.

Aloha to all,
I have been following this thread with interest. I have a Ko'olau Koa Tenor that is my low g uke and a Mya-Moe Myrtle Wood Tenor as my high G (Worth Clears). I have been using Aquila low g string sets for several years. Having experimented with many other low g string sets, I have always returned back to the Aquila's, but never cared the squeeky 4th string plus they wear out quickly. I play a lot and change out strings almost monthly.
I wanted to give the Worth CT low g string set a whirl. Comparatively speaking, the Worths have a lower string tension and small string diameter compared to the Aquila's, which for me will take some getting used to, and the unwound 4th string is not so bass bottom sounding like the wound low g. Here is the string spec's for those interested:
Aquila w/ wound 4th low g Worth Clears no wound 4th low g
A- .026 14.9 lbs A-.022 15lbs
E- .033 13.1 lbs E- .026 11.1 lbs
C- .039 11.7 lbs. C- .029 9.3 lbs
g- .030 14.3 lbs. g- .358 9.0 lbs.

I will keep the Worth low g's for a while, I do like the crisp mellow balanced sound, but the reduced string tension will take some getting used to . I did not have to alter the nut with to accomodate the thicker string which was a added bonus. I'm still seaching for the "perfect' low g string set, but it was mentioned in an earlier post from South Coast Ukes is we tend to giving up one thing for another when we look at diameters, tensions and ultimate perfect sound. I have arrived at a conclusion" that the more I learn, the less I know".

Last edited:
We have a linear set without wound strings that gives both good response and tension. To do it, you have to go a bit thinner than the what most companies offer. What this means, is that on the 17" Tenor scale, your set-up is not in C, but in D, a la James Hill. To play these strings in C, put them on a standard 20" scale Baritone.

I use these on a cheap Makala tenor tuned "A D F# A". They sound great and feel great as well :)

Low G wiz

We walk the same path. I kill an Aquila low G (on a Concert uke) in a week! Picked up a set of D'addario FOLK nylon strings and tied on the G for uke low G. Nylon will last a lot longer I'm thinking. Anyway, the folk G is .040 in (1.02 mm) 11.8 lbs tension Works! Sounds good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom