Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Kit question

Default Grizzly Kit question

I've ordered a Grizzly uke kit, and can't wait to get started. I gave my Lanikai soprano to my daughter, and so need another soprano.I've never really built anything out of wood before, and am a bit nervous.

I have a question on the directions: Is it really necessary to do the finishing of the body _before_ attaching the bridge? Can't you just glue the bridge down, and then apply the stain and finish?

I'm worried about the finish leaking onto the bridge location, as it warns in the directions. It seems to me it would be simpler just to put the bridge on first.

I used a bit of painters tape cut the the same shape as the bridge but a bit smaller. I put 4 cans of laquer over it with no trouble with leaks under it. Y ou will have to cut the laquer before you pull the tape.
    Last edited by tattwo; 08-20-2010 at 04:01 AM. Reason: spelling

You can seal the painters tape with a layer (equally cut to size) of electrical tape. That will probably do the trick and keep it from bleeding through. For the most part, I think you will be good if you don't use overly thick coats of lacquer.

~DB

Quote Originally Posted by lindydanny View Post
    You can seal the painters tape with a layer (equally cut to size) of electrical tape. That will probably do the trick and keep it from bleeding through. For the most part, I think you will be good if you don't use overly thick coats of lacquer.

~DB
    Have you done any builing? If so I would love to see some pictures.

I don't mask the bridge area before finishing. Just scrape off the finish before gluing.
    1. Finish and polish
    2. tape the bridge area and position the bridge on the tape
    3. LIGHTLY trace the bridge with a pencil on the tape. (don't press hard or it will leave a mark in the finish)
    4. Cut the bridge area out of the tape with a sharp knife. Stay inside the line
    5. Scrape or sand off the finish under the bridge
    6. Glue the bridge in place
    7. Remove left over tape after 20min or so. Clean any squeeze out. (easier to do before the glue really hardens)

Thanks ksquine

No, no building as of yet when it comes to instruments. I do a lot of wood work in other areas. Though, I have a lot of resources on lutheir work and that would have been my approach. I like ksquine's too.

~DB

This is how mine played out:

The tape covered about 90% of the gluing area under the bridge, so yes, there is a little lacquer under there...not the end of the world...I would have wet sanded BEFORE I mounted the bridge if I were to do it again...

Here it is during glue-up...

And after...

Success! I finished the kit today. It's not the prettiest--I think I could have chosen better finish than I used, but it is done and _plays in tune_! Hooray!

I've been playing John King's "Famous Solos and Duets for Ukulele" with it all morning. It has a nice, cheery tone with the Aquilas I put on it.

Great! post some pictures we would all love to see it.

Thread Information