Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burnishing Oil Finish

Default Burnishing Oil Finish

New video folks...

Nice Pete! Hey, what oil(s) do you favor?

TruOil is all I use. I have tried teak and danish but they simply don't cut it. For some reason, TruOil really works and is a durable finish.

Great video! I absolutely agree with you, Pete. We've tried danish but really never liked the resulting finish. Tru-oil is definitely the way to go.

And what a coincidence... just yesterday we just took the strings off two instruments to do a little brush up of the oil finish. We used a little terpentine on the pad, together with the tru-oil - worked a charm!

Thanks Pete, great timing for me I have been thinking about moving to tru-oil from shellac! I meant to ask you what finish you used on that lovely extended fingerboard soprano you brought down to the Cheltenham Ukulele Festival? was that Tru-oil too?

Actually it was Fiddes sanding sealer - trying to get a finish that was softer than nitro but more durable than French polish. I'm like all luthiers - looking for the ideal one. I liked what William King said and I'm not sure if he was being ironic or what. I can't quote it exactly but it went something like "I'm not too concerned about what finish I put on my instruments after the treatment I see they get.." Forgive me William if I missquote And it's true - most people scrape the top of the body no matter what you put on and tho I love the matte finish it burnishes up with time. 'nother thing - if it's a gigging musicians piece then you are stuffed no matter what finish is used because they are going to wear it off quick - Catfish Keith, Peter Brooke Turner and Steven Sproat have all done that with the instruments I made for them. It's why guitar makers who have been forced to use alternative types of finishes love those modern ones - they are virtually indestructable and cannot be good for the instruments. Maybe it's why they all seem to have such a "glassy" tone.

Is that Cellulose sanding sealer? I always wondered if that would work by itself, Thanks! I must say that when I saw your soprano uke I felt the same as I did when I first saw the decorated 1564 Andrea Amati violin at the Ashmoleon museum, a level of perfection and crisp attention to detail and a finish, (wow)to aspire to!!

It's their standard stuff Michael - get it from Cardiff

What a lovely uke in the vid. What wood is it in the neck?

Sven
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Hi! Pete, that was a wonderful vedio.
    I am very new in uke building. Could you please tell me what is sanding sealer?
    Thank you so much for your time.

Thread Information