• Welcome Back Kotter

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • The Partridge Family

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
H

Hippie Dribble

hi all

this poll is simply my way of telling the world about my four fave tv shows of all time!!!
please vote and comment if that 70's bug bites you on the bum...

You've listed my whole childhood with that poll. Had to vote for Kotter.

I had to go Brady Bunch for the many afternoons spent in the company of these dudes as a kid.

thanks for the comments so far everyone.

I guess we're all giving our age away here simply by voting on this one!!! Anyone under 35 probably wouldn't even be in a position to vote here...

For myself, I am utterly alienated by modern commercial television and therefore don't watch any apart from sporting events. Perhaps I have a romantic, whimsical, slightly nostalgiic view of what tv should be like, but, as I was growing up through the 1970's and early 80's, these programmes really set the bar high. And there were a whole swag of them in these years; we need a couple more polls to do them all justice...other highlights for me were The Love Boat; Good Times; Little House on the Prairie; MASH; Eight is Enough; The Muppet Show; Fawlty Towers etc etc.

Through the late 80's and into the 90's it was Moonlighting and LA Law, but really, nothing has grabbed me since then. The adds are enough to make me cringe. I find modern tv way too in your face, violent, amoral (and just blatantly immoral - satanic really) - even comedy has a bitter undertone and a nasty, cynical edge to it that I find repellent. The 70's really was the high water mark for tv entertainment, with just the right mix of humour, sassiness and family friendly values. These days even "kids" shows have adult content as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, that's my 2cents worth.

As a parting shot, I probably should say that tv really is only a reflection of the culture out of which it is produced. What saddens me most about that though, is to think what has happenned to our society in the intervening 30 years since these shows were made. I miss the days when life was simpler. But hey, my favourite colours are still orange and brown so what can I say!

(Ukulele JJ raises hand)

Oooh!! Oooh!! Oooh!! Mista Kotta!

Of the four listed, Kotter was definitely the best.

But in my book, you can't beat the Love Boat. (Why they won't release season three on DVD yet is beyond me...)

the-love-boat.jpg

Honorable mentions: Fantasy Island, Mork & Mindy, The Bionic Man (and Woman), Wonder Woman (yowza!), Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore. And then there's "All in the Family" and its extended universe of spin-offs (The Jeffersons, Maude, Good Times...).

JJ

(Tattoo raises hand)

"JJ! JJ! The plane! The plane!"

Can't believe I forgot that one!

"Shazbot!!!" Mork and Mindy too. great stuff mate. Wonder Woman, I've still never gotten over that one, but that's a story for my therapist...cheers JJ, thanks for voting. eugene

OK OK

sanford_son.jpg

Lynda-Carter---Wonder-Woman-Photograph-C101017261.jpeg

cast.jpg

Last edited:
I was a Star Trek, and Gilligan's Island fan. ;) My Dad loved McHales Navy, Combat, 12 O'clock High (he was WWII vet) but also loved Sanford and Son, and The Flip Wilson Show for laughs. Always watch Ed Sullivan Show as a family back then.

Last edited:
I'll go back in time a little further: Have Gun, Will Travel.

time for a new poll???

hmmm...not that many responses in nearly 6 months, methinks it's time to hatch a new poll / thread with a broader base....

I'll go back in time a little further: Have Gun, Will Travel.
'

"Have Gun Will Travel " is one of my all time favorites. That theme at the start of the show is awesome.
I'm also a big fan of " The Rifleman" and " Gilligans Island."

As a parting shot, I probably should say that tv really is only a reflection of the culture out of which it is produced. What saddens me most about that though, is to think what has happened to our society in the intervening 30 years since these shows were made. I miss the days when life was simpler. But hey, my favourite colours are still orange and brown so what can I say!

I agree with this sentiment, Jon. It is truly sad what has happened to the modern world: aggressive; actually, less racial tolerance overall (in my opinion); more non-racial prejudice (e.g. rich vs. poor, smart vs. dumb, etc.); a more lackadaisical work ethic; less "my word is bond" trust and more "I got the best of you" attitude, more "jackpot" mentality ("I'm gonna sue that company and take them to the cleaners!); more one-on-one confrontation ("look at me wrong and I'll sue your pants off!"); the neighborhood of "drive my car in and close the remote garage door before I even get out of the car" neighbors; the Girl Scout ringing the doorbell and homeowner hides under the couch ("someone rang my doorbell! If it was someone I knew coming here, they'd have texted me first!"); the rampant daily dependency on prescription and non-prescription drugs (for even children); the "offender for a word" mentality online ("you made a general joke about driving drunk; my sister-in-law's second cousin died from a drunk driver; it's not funny and you should be ashamed of yourself!"); the name calling online behind screennames ("You're a dipshit for being you." Signed, onehotmama!); the "I'm not here to help you, I'm here to berate you" form of online critiques; the "let's law-up and gun-up" societal norm.

Society, as a whole, is more agitated. More nervous. Individuals are more isolated, and exhibiting the psychological issues associated with that isolation.

All that said, I liked the Courtship of Eddie's Father (1969-1972).

What's wrong with you people, it's the Andy Griffith Show without question!

Agreed! Going through them starting with Season 1, Episode 1 on Netflix. I've noticed a sudden craving to play "Ridin' That New River Train" and "The Crawdad Song" on my uke, though (wouldn't it be fun to join Andy for a little pickin' on the front porch?).

Agreed! Going through them starting with Season 1, Episode 1 on Netflix. I've noticed a sudden craving to play "Ridin' That New River Train" and "The Crawdad Song" on my uke, though (wouldn't it be fun to join Andy for a little pickin' on the front porch?).

I love the episode with the Darlin's when they play Dooley, and of course Ernest T Bass is in that episode too.

I had to pick The Partridge Family purely for the fact that Susan Dey fuelled my adolescent fantasies for many years.

Also, we only had that and Happy Days. Never seen a single episode of the others .

Top Bottom