Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About the different kinds

Default About the different kinds

What is the difference between soprano, concert and tenor ukuleles other than the size?

Sound, price, number of frets.

Any more detailed explanation of the differences? What are they good for? Which is more comfortable to play? etc

Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.
    Fun but expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaka916 View Post
    Poi Dog

rintintin,
    the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant" tuning on soprano and concert where the C tuning (GCEA) G string is an octave higher, giving that signature uke sound.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenwing View Post
    the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant"...
    Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?
    Howlin' Hobbit -- got uke?
    Howlin' on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Hobbit View Post
    Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?
    Yea...most of the tenor players I know string up high-G. Low-G's gaining popularity, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I know a lot of tenors, now days, are SOLD with low-G's off-the-shelf...but most of the guys I know switch em out pretty quick

Thread Information