Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: About the different kinds

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4

    Default About the different kinds

    What is the difference between soprano, concert and tenor ukuleles other than the size?

  2. #2

    Default

    Sound, price, number of frets.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Any more detailed explanation of the differences? What are they good for? Which is more comfortable to play? etc

  4. #4

    Default

    Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

    What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

    Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

    You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NorCal 916
    Posts
    7,820

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Outside DC
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    Comfort depends on the player. I have big hands but I prefer the soprano, both for size and sound.

    What are they good for? The bigger ones will hold down more paper if a fan is pointed in that direction.

    Differences - the smaller the ukulele, usually the "plinkier" it gets. The larger ones usually sound more 'complex' because of the deeper voicings.

    You really are going to have to play 20 or 30 ukuleles to find the right one for you. Well maybe not that many, but playing 20-30 different ukes is a lot of fun.
    Fun but expensive...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Makakilo, HI --> Pembroke Pines, FL
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanaka916 View Post
    Poi Dog

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    190

    Default

    rintintin,
    the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant" tuning on soprano and concert where the C tuning (GCEA) G string is an octave higher, giving that signature uke sound.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Posts
    1,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenwing View Post
    the tenor is usually tuned with a low G as opposed to "re-entrant"...
    Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?
    Howlin' Hobbit -- got uke?
    Howlin' on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Bandcamp

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Makakilo, Hawaii
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howlin Hobbit View Post
    Hmmmm... define "usually." Just off the top of my head, doesn't the JakeMonster play re-entrant?
    Yea...most of the tenor players I know string up high-G. Low-G's gaining popularity, but I don't think it's quite there yet. I know a lot of tenors, now days, are SOLD with low-G's off-the-shelf...but most of the guys I know switch em out pretty quick

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •