Arm band for ukes

clayton56

Reaction score
I've been a little hesitant to play uke in the heat, because sweat from my arm gets the uke wet down at the bottom end. This is especially worrisome with the satin-finish models - it feels like bare wood.

So, I cut a portion of a sleeve from an old sweatshirt, and now my sweaty arm doesn't touch the wood. But of course it's not fashion forward.

Calling Lori, or other entrepreneurs, there needs to be a uke armband to protect our ukes in the summer from sweaty arms.

I think I have heard of someone patenting something like that for guitar, but I have never seen one in production. Of course, utility patents in the USA are good for only twenty years, so, if it is older than that, it might be in public domain.

I like to protect my ukes too, but if it looked really odd, I would only use it at home.

–Lori

If you want to look gangster you could get these fake tattoo sleeves.

PNI-UR197-UR201.jpg

I used something similar to them when I was playing a lot of classical guitar.

I find this is a problem too but depending on how heavily your arm sweats angling it away can help.
I just wear long sleeve tshirts/button downs if I think it's gonna be a problem.

This is very interesting, never thought of this!!
Thanks for the link!!

I have a similar concerns with some finish issues.

For me I just can't get too excited about using a sleeve, although I imagine it will work fine.

I've decide to get a couple of clamp-on koa wood armrests instead. Similar to the ones used on mandolins.

It is going to run me more than I had initially planned because I had to track down parts... mandolin clamp barrels too small for ukulele and guitar ones too big.

Hopefully I'll get them sometime in September... just in time for the fall and winter cool down so I won't need them.

Will post pictures then.

John

Wow, I always thought drool, sweat and stuff on your instrument was cool, meant you were getting into it.
Some spilled beer in the mix helps too. ;)

Just gitcha a long sweat band like the pro-basketballers wear. I wear one sometimes because some of my banjos dig inta my forearm. Come ta think of it so does my new tenor guitar.

They come in colors, they’re cheap and you can wipe yer forehead when you’re really gittin’ down. :eek:ld:

Go to a golf shop and get some sunsleeves, there are cotton ones and cooling nylon type ones.

Tennis player now days wear the long arm sweat bands to wipe their faces. I'd guess they're about 6" long. They absorb your sweat. They don't get hot, and they give you a funky tan.

All of the things mentioned so far in this thread will get saturated with sweat after a while, so you'd probably want to have two or three to change to if you're playing a long set on a hot muggy day. ����

This is what old socks are for. Cut off the worn out, holey foot part, and voila - instant arm sweatband.

bratsche, not a slave to fashion

Top Bottom