Thread: What glue for this repair?

Default What glue for this repair?

While rough trimming the back on my StewMac tenor kit and using the wrong tool for the job, I managed to put a pair of splits in the back and separate the top/side joint in that area. Would the right thing to do for this be CA for the splits and then Titebond for re-gluing the side? I'm a little worried that if I use thin CA I'll end up gluing the side due to it running all over - not necessarily a bad thing I suppose. Should I try thicker CA instead?

Thanks in advance!

I should add that even though you can see daylight through the longer split in the photos, it does close just fine with finger pressure.

I think you're on the mark with your suggested fix. I wouldn't use medium CA only because it'll tend to stay on top of the split while the thin stuff will wick into it.
    How are you trimming the sides? A bench mounted router will do the cleanest job as long as you make climb cuts first. And make sure your overhanging material is left at a minimum.
    Better luck next time!
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Thanks Chuck!

The Titebond is clamped and drying now. It went just fine, but I think it would have gone better if I wasn't too cheap to buy the CA Activator. As it was I was holding that bigger split closed with my fingers for longer than was comfortable. I'll post a pic of the results tomorrow.

Titebond will work fine - don't worry about it.

Okay, here's the result. Not bad at all - I think what's left of the CA stain will be invisible under finish.

46677_10150257650305142_779140141_14527796_58667_n.jpg

The cause of the accident was me using a coping saw to remove areas of overhang, because I neglected to trim my top closer to size before glue-up (I don't have a router and wasn't looking forward to chiseling/planing through .75 inches of overhang). I think the large overhangs also negatively effected my gluing, and the vibration from the coping saw was too much for the shoddy joint to handle.

Thread Information