They should have used his name!

UkuEroll

Reaction score
I saw an advert on TV here in the UK for an album by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, It's title being " Israel K" For a man of such stature in the Ukulele world, I think they should have called it by his real name.I know it's a bit of a tongue twister, but once I became aware of Jake Shimabukuru, I soon learned how to say his name. All I hear about Iz is " that bloke that did over the rainbow" and it gives me the hump!........Grrrrrr rant over ! sorry:p

That is bad. Suck it up and learn to say it. We learn to say all of the mainstream artists names... ("lets see... San-ta-nah... no... San-ti-na... no... Ladies and gentlemen - Santana!!!") I swear, people are so lazy. It's scary to look at but sound it out - it makes sense. Ka-ma-ka-vee-vo-ole.

I haven't heard of that album - is it new?

Laziness and lingua-phobia is part of it, but really famous people are often known, or at least recognized, by just one name. Among ukers, if you say Iz or Jake, who else would you be talking about? Before too long, the same will be true of the public at large.

Every so often I teach and some students would sign their papers and tests with stuff like "Ashleigh" (smiley face dotting the i) or "G", no last names. One time I taught multiple sections and had over 385 students. I got a paper signed "Ricky C" no section number or anything. So in each class I got up and announced "If anyone knows Ricky C tell them Jimmy R (Me) is looking for them." It's not everyone or that is like this, it's just they are so noticeable they appear to be more numerous.

I deejayed a specialty radio show early Sunday mornings for ten plus years. The Iz version of Somewhere Over The Rainbow was definitely something that I'd trot out and spin. So would the other two hosts who had the other shifts of this show.
I was the only one who'd gone to the trouble to get his name pronunciation.
Granted, I know there's plenty of other names I bolloxed up over the years, but Kamakawiwo'ole wasn't one of them.

while i agree that the cm should have used the entire last name, they may have been saying it not because they're afraid to, it could be because of time restraints or just trying to shorten it in general. i never really thought about shortening names until i lived in japan. just about everything in japan is shortened now because it saves time. pokemon = pocket monsters. burapi = brad pitt. famikon = family computer (nintendo nes). we do it to, tho. pc = personal computer. and when was the last time anyone called a rc car a radio controlled car? lol. i didn't even know rc was radio controlled until i learned the word in japanese (which is rajikon=rajio kontororu).

Top Bottom