Sorting out a set list in prep for trying out open mics

raecarter

Reaction score
I'm on nights from tomorrow so i'm taking the uke to work and annoying the prisoners in prep for my first crack at open mics. What I'm wondering is should I choose a few songs then just concentrate on this. How doyou all do it?

Open mike, so I assume that you'll only be playing one or two songs? Choose two songs that represent your playing the best, ones that you can play without really thinking about it, ones that you can get passionate about. Practice them with a mind to performing them (playing for yourself is different than playing for others) but don't overrehearse until they sound stale.
And the usual suggestions; have fun and if you mess up pretend you did it on purpose!

Hi raecarter

Each Open Mic has a set of rules. If you have been to this one, you get some ideas. Otherweise, you can ask when you get there. A typical one is like "15 minutes or 3 songs", or on a busy night, "10 minutes or two songs". And that's the limit so you prepare one song to play, you can say "this is my first open mic ever so I just prepare on song for tonight" and there will be no problem.

I usually prepare a couple of songs and practice them more. It is up to you.

One etiquette - tune up before you go up. Usually the time is short, and you do not want to go on stage and start tuning. Find a quiet corner (or go to bathroom) and tune up. Be ready when your turn comes up.

But the Rule Number One is "have fun"

Cheers
Chief

PS: Where is the Open Mic? YOu're in Portsmouth (NH? RI? UK?)

TThanks for your input you two to be honest I don't have a venue to open mic yet but there are a few. I'm actually in Gosport near Portsmouth in the south uk. I will probably ppractise 3 then. One will be a indie song one a rap song lol and ill choose another tonight at work I think.

Top Bottom