Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tenor or Soprano ukulele tuned with the low G

Default Tenor or Soprano ukulele tuned with the low G

I am soon getting a mainland tenor ukulele and I was wondering how I would get it to have the low G tuning on the top string. do I need to buy a set or Baritone ukulele strings and restring it so that there is a thicker sting on the top? same thing goes for a soprano. How do I get a low G string on my soprano?

You get a low G string and put it on. Why do you want a low G? I had heard all the "hoopla" about low G and got a couple and really didn't care for the sound and gave them away. Hey, that's just me though.

You can buy a set of strings with a low G, or just buy the low G string.

I bought a set of Fremont Black Fluorocarbons with a low G in a soprano size. I just wanted to try them out, but I don't really like them much. The low G, not the Fremont strings. I have enough ukes that I can keep one tuned in low G though. It gives me a reason to occasionally mess about with that particular instrument.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

You can buy single Aquila low G wound strings from elderly.com in tenor, concert, and soprano gauges.

Just replace the high G on your ukes with the wound low G string. I like low G tuning, and I find some ukes sound fabulous with a low G and others ukes sound terrible - unbalanced or thunky.

I have a couple of sopranos that sound fantastic with low G but are uninspired when strung re-entrant, and a couple of other sopranos whihc are wonderful strung re-entrant but really lousy with a low G.
    Hard times have hit - selling most everything - just guitars left now...
    Larrivee hogtop Parlor Guitar with 24" scale
    Larrivee 00-03R rosewood and spruce Guitar with 24-3/4" short scale
    Eastman AC512 mahogany and engelmann spruce Guitar with 25" short scale

All are solid wood isntruments.
    All come with original hardshell cases, all have 1-3/4" nuts with a 2-3/16" string spread at the saddle.
    All come from a smoke-free house - let me know if you're interested!

Quote Originally Posted by LoMa View Post
    You can buy single Aquila low G wound strings from elderly.com in tenor, concert, and soprano gauges.

Just replace the high G on your ukes with the wound low G string. I like low G tuning, and I find some ukes sound fabulous with a low G and others ukes sound terrible - unbalanced or thunky.

I have a couple of sopranos that sound fantastic with low G but are uninspired when strung re-entrant, and a couple of other sopranos whihc are wonderful strung re-entrant but really lousy with a low G.
    I don't know if you can get single UNwound low G strings, but that's what I'd try to use on a soprano. Although, admittedly, I've never used a WOUND low G on a soprano.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

I wouldn't use an unwound low G on a soprano because they are very thick and often require you to modify the nut slot. The wound strings work just fine without any modification to your uke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    I don't know if you can get single UNwound low G strings, but that's what I'd try to use on a soprano. Although, admittedly, I've never used a WOUND low G on a soprano.
    Hard times have hit - selling most everything - just guitars left now...
    Larrivee hogtop Parlor Guitar with 24" scale
    Larrivee 00-03R rosewood and spruce Guitar with 24-3/4" short scale
    Eastman AC512 mahogany and engelmann spruce Guitar with 25" short scale

All are solid wood isntruments.
    All come with original hardshell cases, all have 1-3/4" nuts with a 2-3/16" string spread at the saddle.
    All come from a smoke-free house - let me know if you're interested!

Martin Baritone strings sound great on my Koaloha soprano.

Aloha Nick,
    When ordering your mainland, just tell them to install it for you....Just simple as that...and they probally let you have the regular string..
    I love my wound G string on my soprano...actually I'll play any ukulele and have fun...
    But for others it may be personal perference..."Keep strumming them strings"....MM Stan....
    Last edited by mm stan; 09-17-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mangorockfish View Post
    Why do you want a low G?
    Probably because it does sound different, and some songs sound better in low G, and because you can do some bass runs you can't do with high G. I have ukes with both tunings and really like having the alternative for some songs.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Thread Information