Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wound string keeps breaking

Default Wound string keeps breaking

Hi guys,

I apologize if this has been asked in the forum. I searched but didn't find anything.

I recent got a Kala baritone tuned to GCEA with a low G on Aquila strings. The thing is my low wound G always breaks. I've had to replace it twice in less than 2 months. Buying a new set every time is going to be cost prohibitive.

I can see small impressions on string where it meets the fret and as the strings stretch and I retune, that impression slowly moves upwards, while new ones are being created. Does that make sense? lol

Been playing for 10+ years but never had this issue as I've always played on nylon strings. Does anyone else experience this?

Welcome to the Underground. I don't think many here 1) play baritone, and 2) would tune it up 5 steps if they did.

I've had this happen several times with wound strings. The first thing is to look at both the tuner and the nut and make sure that there aren't any sharp edges that cut into the metal of the string. The nut on my old baritone had a bit of a rough edge that I used a file to smooth down, and had no more problems.

The other possibility is that the string is unwinding from the end and eventually loses its strength so it snaps. I usually avoid this by not cutting the end of the string, or if I must, I then put a knot in the end so it won't unwind.

Hello and welcome to the UU. Enjoy yourself!
    I also would look for sharp edges that might nick a string.

My Kamaka baritone is tuned gCEA with Aquila strings, although no wound strings, and the sound is wonderful to me.
    cletus

Same here as Cletus. I have my Bari tuned GCEA with low G but no wound strings. Have had no trouble and love the sound out of my Bari tuned this way. Also like the fretting and picking a bit better than my tenors. Good luck and welcome to UU. Lozark

Quote Originally Posted by cletus View Post
    Hello and welcome to the UU. Enjoy yourself!
    I also would look for sharp edges that might nick a string.

My Kamaka baritone is tuned gCEA with Aquila strings, although no wound strings, and the sound is wonderful to me.
    Definately check what Cletus says. You might need to radius the frets if you have a few with sharp edges. That said, in my expereince some brands of strings are more prone to this. You can buy singles at http://www.juststrings.com/ukuleleot...lestrings.html I buy the GHS Bronze wound for my baritone 3rd and 4th.
    Last edited by Ukuleleblues; 09-18-2010 at 11:55 AM.

I think Kelani has the key. The Aquila string set with one wound string is not meant to be tuned to key of C on a 20" standard baritone scale. If nygut didn't stretch so much, you would break the other strings as well.

If you like the Aquila strings, tune them down 1-2 steps to A or B flat. Linear (low 4th) key of C, however, as lozarkman says, is an excellent tuning for the Baritone. We like it better than the standard linear G tuning.
    Last edited by wickedwahine11; 09-20-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Spam - product placement

Hi guys,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been a lurker forever but I guess just finally decided to post something. lol

Let me clarify on my initial post. The way I have been putting the strings together is using 2 different Aquila sets. I buy the Baritone AECG and the standard Baritone EBDG set and use that low g in with AEC strings. Does that make sense? I absolutely love how it sounds that way. I also own a soprano and concert but the mango baritone gets all the play any more.

I'm thinking I might just have to change to a unwound low G.

Aloha findurpath,
    Check out www.aquilausa.com/
    all the info you need....

Hello path,

No, it doesn't make complete sense. Let me take a stab at it, though. You are tuning a baritone GCEA with a low 4th string.

You buy a GCEA Baritone set and use three of those strings for positions 1-3.

Then you buy a set of regular Aquila Baritone strings, DGBE, and use the wound 3rd string for your 4th string?

If I have that correctly, it should work. The standard Aquila Baritone set has two wound strings. You should use the 3rd string, not the 4th. The 4th will break.

Still, you could get a better sound with ours.

Thread Information