Kamaka and koaloha and kanilea sopranos

they all sound good to my ear. the kanile'a and koaloha have a brighter sound. the kamaka and ko'olau sound more traditional... whatever that means. i have a ko'olau on the way.

they all sound good to my ear. the kanile'a and koaloha have a brighter sound. the kamaka and ko'olau sound more traditional... whatever that means. i have a ko'olau on the way.

Congrats on the Ko'olau! Do let us have a sneak peek :)

Tough one to call, I would lean slightly towards the Kamaka, more traditional. I have a Kanile'a 6 string and love it to death. Very well built and the sound is amazing can be played quiet and very loud, it all depends. I have played a Kamaka, will start to save up for one! Never played or heard in person a KoAloha, but they get some great reviews.

Yea going by the video IMO and sound preference I'd give 1st place KoAloha 2nd Kamaka. It's funny how you guys talk about the Kamaka being the more traditional sound. Back before I new sugar from salt in the ukulele world when I would think of Hawaii/the Hawaiian Islands/Hawaiian music I thought the loud/bright/happy/trebly KoAloha sound WAS the traditional sound. I still prefer it to this day, so you see it is all perspective :)

Uke Philly, I assume you are in Philly? I am too, and I have super sopranos both Kanile'a and Koaloha in the house at the moment if you'd like to check them out. I wasn't crazy about the Kanile'a and am sending it back to the shop. I like the Koaloaha a whole lot. I also have a solid koa Kala soprano and a vintage Martin soprano (which is the best-sounding uke I have ever played.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

John

Two cents worth about some ukes I played recently.

KoAloha - Bright, loud, looks really great.
Kamaka - Beautiful ukes, but the stock strings are not to my taste. I'd have to hear one with better strings before considering buying it.
Kanilea - Lovely ukes but don't dig that high gloss, 'sound monster' overrated, at least with those strings.

Just my opinions as a new player.

guys i think with all the great help and the steller reviews. i'm going with the kamaka pineapple when i get a chance to drive up to newyork. and if the price of 652 is to high i may go with the koaloha soprano. I cannot wait to get it but thanks i know every single uke is different, but i think the kamaka "original" pineapple is what i want. thanks for the help
max

Have fun shopping and good luck finding that sweet one that calls out to you!

I was doing the same thing not that long ago, I tried a few K brands and sent them all back. I had a custom uke built by Aaron Keim of Beansprout Ukulele and couldn't be happier. Mya Moe also makes an amazing instrument in the same price range. There is wonderful American made instruments that don't start with K.

Hum, not to throw a wrench but I have had all 3 brands and stuck with the Kanilea's. My soprano has a voice not to compare to anything else. The long neck Concert is in its own class. Like any other instrument it is what you want it to sound like when you buy it. I have a lot of Ukuleles- been collecting since 1965. Some came from the trash and sound like the best of the best, some are cheap ones and are really nice. Now that is not the say I have not work them over to get what I want from them. Some never measures up and were sold. So I guess I'm trying to say in a round about way get what sounds good to you.

I had no idea there was so much negative response toward Kanile'a! I don't discount any of it - tone is purely subjective and I can't say that anybody's opinion is right or wrong - but for what it's worth, my Kanile'a soprano (K1) is the loveliest sounding production uke I've heard. Maybe because it's mine, I guess, but I love it love it love it. I did restring it with Worth clears - it was beautiful before, and I think the Worths have brought out the very best in it!

I have a Kamaka soprano and tenor ukes. If you like the genuine "traditional Hawaiian" uke look and sound, the Kamaka is for you. I like them, but I prefer my Koaloha concert uke. You really can't ask for a better made uke - the construction is nearly flawless, and it is very stylish also! However, in summary, my favorite uke is my Kanile'a concert. It looks beautiful, feels just right to me, and souds so warm and mellow! I just looove it! In the end, I think that all 3 are excellent ukuleles - it's really a personal choice of what looks, feels and sounds right for you. Good luck and happy ukeing! :music:

I have no sopranos but I do have a Kamaka and a Kanile'a both tenors. My favorite is the Kamaka because it is traditional Hawaiian and plays great as well as sounds awesome. My Kanile'a is a 6 string and that uke is awesome in construction and sound. Heck, Aldrine plays a Kanile'a so they can't be that bad!! Anyway, you can't go wrong with a "K" brand, they are all awesome ukes!!

Last edited:
Disregard that

Last edited:
Regardless of what kanilea ukuleles sound like. Their customer service is pathetic and I would be embarrassed to say I'm the face of kanilea.... I do not recommend kanilea now, or ever, unless you like cat and mouse games.

I'm so very sorry that you had such a bad experience with them. I have had nothing but wonderful experiences in every dealing I have had with Kristen and Joe Souza, from touring the factory, to having them install a strap button on my uke, to Kristen offering to pick me up at a bus stop in Hawaii, and them recognizing me at every occasion I have run into them at an ukulele festival. It is actually due to my sentimental attachment to my Kanile'a (because it was my first "real" ukulele, and because of their customer service) that I refrain from trying to sell mine. As I see other people like Aldrine, Lori and bbycrts who adore their Kanile'as, I can't help but think I got a dud on mine. Which is a shame, because it wasn't cheap, as a K2 tenor.

I know from reading the other thread that you have had a lot of problems with your Kanile'a, and I'm so sorry it hasn't been a good experience for you. But while I'm not ecstatic with the sound of my Kanile'a uke, I just wanted to say I have considered them to be wonderful people...I still hold out hope that your situation will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Interesting. Both of mine are awesome. The first one a K2 long neck concert was purchased because a customer backed out of the deal. When I got it I liked it so well I ordered a Soprano custom. It took longer that they had told me and at the end there were some minor flaws- that didn't affect the playability at all. They gave me a super deal on it and assured me if I wasn't happy I could send it back. When I got it I fell in love with it.
They aren't a huge operation so stuff is bound to happen.
Sorry you have had a bad experience but maybe you should talk to them and voice your complaints to see if they would be willing to work with you.

Thanks for all the help. The forums are amazing. I think scince my monetary situation has changed and I'm good enough to play a tenor with ease and skill. i'm starting to see the need for the 13th fret , And BEYOND!!!!!!. so i think because i live so close to ny and they have a bounty of kamaka's i think guessing if a kanilea tenor would be good. or testing out a bunch of kamaka tenors myself is a smarter idea. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom