Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 string Ukulele......HELP lol

it would take a day and a half to change those strings.

The Charangos in those vids have 10 strings and it may well be one. However, I think most of us are curious mainly because the mention of a 12 string ukulele. My $.02 . . .

My grandparents from the philippines gave me a 12 string uke too!
    Does anyone know how to tune/play it? i have no idea how

Can you post a picture?

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

I ended up making my own from a standard Mahalo soprano. https://video-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hv...9d&oe=55D4AADB

yup, I think we need some picture here..
    www.mahardikainstrument.com
    instagram : @andy_mahardika

Post #3603 from back in June of 08, talk about goin back in time . . . he he he he

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

'Way up top here is a link to a thread with pictures of a 14-string bandurria. It looks very very much like the 12-string Virtuosa cuatro-menor I bought in Paracho, Mexico a few years ago on one of our drives back stateside from Guatemala. Size-wise, it is like a thick mandolin. (The car was too stuffed for anything bigger!)

I consider it an 'uke-like object. It has four triple courses steel-strung GGG-CCC-EEE-aaa like a low-G 'uke. I often tuned it GGG-CCC-EEE-ggg for slack-key playing. I currently string it GgG-cCc-EEE-ggg for a 12-string-guitar effect, often played bottleneck. One of these days I will have to shoot some video of it.

So, what is it like? Those triple courses of steel strings are quite easy on the fingers. The sound is shimmering, flowing, sweet. And yes, it is a bear to keep tuned. Intonation is also tricky; Virtuosa isn't the highest-quality of brands. Maybe that's why I bottleneck it, eh? Anyway, I now own 'uke-like objects with 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 strings. I plan to build a 3-string 'uke to fill out the list -- just CEA, who needs a low or high G string? Pesky bugger just gets in the way... I think I'll skip 14- or 16-string 'ukes. But I *do* want a 10-string charango, yet another sorta 'uke-like object (ULO). And then a ronroco, a big charango. And then... I am doomed.

Ukes: Alvarez 4- & Kala 6- & O.Schmidt 8-string tenors; 1 Ohana & 2 Kahalo sopranos; Harmonia concert & bari
    Mandos: Celtic (KE Coleman) & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A-types; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cumbus o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando; Venezuelan cuatro; zithers

Thread Information