Are you a solo uke act in the Puget Sound area?

Howlin Hobbit

Reaction score
I'd like to see a regular evening of uke-centric acts here in my 'hood. In order to make this happen, I've been planning a "Ukulele Soirée"* for some time now. My goals have been two-fold: first, introduce the concept to the folks in this (and neighboring) town(s). Second: make sure that in every instance, the performers are rewarded for their efforts. I happen to be a tad tired of the "open mike mindset" that seems to think we should all be ecstatic to entertain someone's paying customers and not be remunerated ourselves. With that in mind, do you...

• have a solo ukulele act in the Puget Sound area?**
  • have 35 - 40 minutes of strong material?
  • have 12 friends, relations, in-laws, outlaws, etc. you can count on to come out and see your performance?
  • feel alright working for a modest honorarium plus a share of the tips and a good dinner? (any CD sales are all yours, of course)
If so, email soiree@howlinhobbit.com and include:

• link(s) to recordings (audio or video, the latter preferred) of you performing. Solo uke (or uke w/vocals) encouraged. I need to hear how you sound live (i.e. without overdubs).
  • link(s) to photos of you performing live, electronic press kits, reviews, etc. a plus. There's enough lead time*** on this project so that if you need to snail-mail a press kit and/or demo CD you'll be able to do so.
  • bear in mind that while cover tunes are fine, extra points will be awarded for original tunes.
I'm open to all styles of ukulele playing, as long as it's "ukulele style." (And that covers a large swath!)

I'm hoping to make this a monthly event. Once it gets rolling I'll also be happy to hear from out-of-the-area folks who may be traveling through.

Get in touch!

* Ukulele Soirée is just the working title for the project. Subject to change at whim.
** If this takes off like I hope, I'll eventually open it up to groups, but the initial honorarium is likely to be rather small and therefore better for singles.
*** Once I've gotten enough performers "in the wings" I'll approach a nearby restaurant where my band has played on numerous occasions and present them with the idea. So plenty of time (though I'm hoping to put the first one on this fall). I also have two other places in mind if the first one goes "no way!" But I doubt that will happen.

This sounds like so much fun, I'd be tempted to make the trip to Seattle just to check it out. Keep us posted how this progresses. Thanks,

Doug

I'm nowhere near good enough but I'd love to come watch so please keep us posted.

Top Bottom