Acoustic vs Electric

kenikas

Reaction score
I've found a killer deal on a Lanikai uke that I've been lusting after, well almost anyway. The problem I have is it has the electrics, and don't know that I'll ever use them. My question is, do the electrics have any effect on the sound when played acoustically? I played electric guitars for years, but never an electrified acoustic, and have only played acouctic instruments for the last 20 or so years. If any one knows of any YouTube comparisons they would be appreciated also.

In nearly all cases, factory-installed electronics should not have any noticeable bearing on the sound of the uke when played acoustically. The only "downside" is that the uke costs more because of the installed electronics.

If you plan to perform in public for a large event, having the electronics will enable you to plug into an amp or PA. I suggest you "test-drive" the electronics ahead of time to ensure you get the sound you desire when playing through an amp or PA system.

Bottom line: if you really like the uke's looks and acoustic sound, buy it! :)

There is no disadvantage to getting an acoustic-electric version of an acoustic uke.
The pickup is actually a plus. If it's a good deal you can afford, by all means go for it.
There would not be any youtube comparisons (I doubt anyone would bother) because they sound pretty much the same with or without pickups.

In fact, in my collection of ukes, electronics is a must. All my ukes have pickups.

If you have electric guitar equipment, you will be able to plug in your uke into the amps and stuff.
It would sound a bit different, since they're acoustic pickups (piezo). But it'll work :) Have fun! Electrifying a uke is where I get the most thrill out of uke playing.

No problem with my ovation

Thanks all for your responces, that is what my gut feeling was but since I've never been able to play them figured I'd ask the experts here.

In nearly all cases, factory-installed electronics should not have any noticeable bearing on the sound of the uke when played acoustically. The only "downside" is that the uke costs more because of the installed electronics.
That is part of what makes this one such a good deal, the price is about what I can find the non-electrics for.

If you plan to perform in public for a large event, having the electronics will enable you to plug into an amp or PA. I suggest you "test-drive" the electronics ahead of time to ensure you get the sound you desire when playing through an amp or PA system.
I really doubt I'll ever perform in public or need the electrics, but it does give me the option.

Bottom line: if you really like the uke's looks and acoustic sound, buy it! :)/
Unfortunately can't play it since the seller is on the other side of the country, but in the pictures they sent the uke looks fantastic, and I've tried similar Lanikai's and like their sound.

Last edited:
Well, if the price is right jump on it. Pick-ups are a plus if you ever decide to sell it.

Top Bottom