View Poll Results: Have you ever received a uke that was damaged in shipping?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

44 72.13%
  • Only one damaged

14 22.95%
  • Two recevied damaged

1 1.64%
  • Three (too many)

0 0%
  • Four or more (very unlucky)

2 3.28%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever get a uke that was damaged in shipping?

Default Ever get a uke that was damaged in shipping?

Hey Everyone,

Just received a new uke today. Unfortunately it was damaged, most likely in shipping. It had 2 small wood grain cracks on the front at the bottom of the lower bout.

It got me thinking how many people have ever had this happen. I'd guess less than 10%, but I'm usually wrong. So, thought I'd take a poll.

Have you ever received a uke that was damaged in shipping? 0, 1,2,3,more.

I hope no one has received more damaged ones than that!
    This is my 2nd shipping damaged uke. Oddly, both were from uke stores in Hawaii.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 09-24-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your bad shipping luck. I just got my 12th uke a couple of weeks ago and all but 4 were shipped (most from HI) and I've never even had a scratch on any of them. Even the vintage ones I've got on ebay were well packed and arrived in great shape. I hope it's not 10% cause that would mean I'm overdue!!

I have bought and sold a few ukes on ebay and fmm. Never had a problem with damage, even though some were packed better than others.

Only had shipping damage was from two different stores in Hawaii. The first one refunded my purchase price and paid for return shipping, good customer service.

For the damaged uke I received today the store owner wants me to ship back at my expense, even though he admits he didn't pack it well (uke in a hard case was put in a small cardboard box with nothing between the case and the cardboard). Said he would up grade the uke to make up for it. We'll see what happens.
    -Hodge

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Just received a new uke today. Unfortunately it was damaged, most likely in shipping. It had 2 small wood grain cracks on the front at the bottom of the lower bout.
    Unless there was packaging damage, I'd hazard a guess that the cracks were not related to the shipping. Were they used ukes?

No, it was brand new (Pono PKS-1). The store owner said that he never shipped ukes like this before and that another customer for same uke called today with the same problem.

But you're right. It seemed funny, as the box was fine and the uke was in hard case. The box was tight to the top and bottom of the case, and possibly a heavy weight/box could have pushed on the bridge, stressing the sound board.
    -Hodge

Just once, but it was more the shipping company's fault (they must've dropped it hard).
    But nevertheless, the sender provided a partial refund to make up for the aesthetic blemish on the backside of the uke to make up for it

From our perspective - shipping is a nightmare! Spend all that time building a beatiful instrument and then entrust it to a bunch of gorillas! When you think about it, it is even worse for it to spend a lot of time in the back of hot trucks. Instrument 101: do not leave your instrument in the trunk of your car - yet that is more or less what you do when you ship one by ground freight.

We have finally found what we think is the best way to ship: 1) plywood boxed 2) all by air (no ground delivery- no back of trucks) 3) pick-up at your local post office ( see no ground - #2).

Insurance is a hassle for everyone involved. Much better to have a safe, secure delivery.
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 09-24-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southcoastukes View Post
    We have finally found what we think is the best way to ship: 1) plywood boxed 2) all by air (no ground delivery- no back of trucks) 3) pick-up at your local post office ( see no ground - #2).

Insurance is a hassle for everyone involved. Much better to have a safe, secure delivery.
    OK. so how does it get from the airport to the local post office? I don't think it arrives by parachute or helicoptor

I shipped a uke to TikiUke and it arrived cracked. The USPS made it right by giving him a refund of what he paid but it took a little bit of time. Maybe 30 days? I was surprised b/c I called UkeRepublic and asked him how to pack it. It happens. This is why I buy insurance on my ukes I ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    No, it was brand new (Pono PKS-1). The store owner said that he never shipped ukes like this before and that another customer for same uke called today with the same problem.

But you're right. It seemed funny, as the box was fine and the uke was in hard case. The box was tight to the top and bottom of the case, and possibly a heavy weight/box could have pushed on the bridge, stressing the sound board.
    A pono? You know UkeRepublic (hour away from you) sells Pono. No shipping.Just a car drive

Had a close call once - uke without a case that was packed well with at least 5"- 6" of bubble wrap around it, taped in sturdy box. Arrived at the Post Office with a few rips in the box and several large punctures through box, missing the headstock by just a fee millimeters. Was amazed there was no damage.

Thread Information