Ever get a uke that was damaged in shipping?

Have you ever received a uke that was damaged in shipping?

• Never

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Only one damaged

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Two recevied damaged

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Three (too many)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Four or more (very unlucky)

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
I'm waiting for a $1300 uke, I don't want to jynx anything :S

I just received my Kamaka last week. I feel very fortunate - Kamaka did a nice job packing my uke and I am grateful to UPS for the safe shipping. It was shipped from Hawaii to Pennsylvania.

I got a old camp style banjo uke packed by this guy in a single box and shipped USPS. It was insured. The neck was broke in half, not quit snapped all the way but very close. The box looked like it had been run over with a something. When I tried to get the USPS to pay for it they never returned any phone calls until I got the name of the "insurance inspector" and told them I needed it to file in small claims court. The guy called me back and tells me it wasn't packed properly so he was going to deny it (he never saw it). I told him if it was not packed properly they should not have accepted it. He was bragging about how he denies Guitar claims all the time from e-bay sellers. The guy was a real A hole. We went round and around and it finally ended up that he would take the uke for "inspection" and it would take at least six weeks. To make a long store short I fixed it myself and I never ever use USPS knowingly. I work with a guy that used to be at the USPS and he told me he saw co-works on more than one occasion take boxes marked Fragile and for a joke drop kick them across the loading dock. What a bunch of jerks.

I always ask for packing material, double boxing and UPS or Fed Ex shipping. Even if it costs more.

wow. I really hope I didn't make a huge mistake going with usps.. with my uke that i need. I need to play it at a wedding, in 5 weeks now. If i comes damaged, I wouldn' know what to do..

Got a beautiful Oscar Schmidt spalted mango concert uke on Ebay from someone that doesn't sell a lot of ukes. I specifically asked for it to be well packaged because the post and couriers can be very rough sometimes. They said it would be very well packed. When it arrived, they hadn't even opened the original box and they did nothing at all to protect it, i.e. almost no packing or padding in the box, and no packing or padding around the box. Of course it was damaged, but fortunately only a few tiny and hard-to-see scratches at the back of the headstock where the cardboard had scraped off.

I also bought a uke from china that was shipped DHL. The uke arrived in perfect condition, but the DHL customs clearance people had used a very sharp box-cutter right down the middle of the box that sliced through the included case.

Wow I feel sorry for the people who said 4 or more. That has never happened to me.

These stories are so sad! That would be terrible to have a new uke come damaged:( especially if it was expensive.

Wow. I had one uke shipped to me in just the tight fitting box it comes from the factory in. I wasn't thrilled when I saw that, and was really upset when I saw the box had some rather nasty gashes in it. The uke was fine, although whatever tore the box managed to tear that foamy stuff they put around the uke...so I was lucky. I have not bought from that seller again, and all of the others have been packed well.

Just an FYI....just got my first uke from MGM, and he did one heck of a packing job on it. Plenty of packing material between the hard case and the box. He does good work.

The most expensive uke I ever purchased (a K brand) arrived with the finish crazed over the entire uke. The seller swore that it was fine when they sent it, and that it must have happened in shipping. I returned the uke and they refunded my money (including the return shipping).

Just an FYI....just got my first uke from MGM, and he did one heck of a packing job on it. Plenty of packing material between the hard case and the box. He does good work.

I want to second this comment. MGM does a VERY GOOD JOB at packing his ukuleles. I have bought several from him and every one has arrived safe and intact, due to the extra care he places on the packing.

I got a old camp style banjo uke packed by this guy in a single box and shipped USPS. It was insured. The neck was broke in half, not quit snapped all the way but very close. The box looked like it had been run over with a something. When I tried to get the USPS to pay for it they never returned any phone calls until I got the name of the "insurance inspector" and told them I needed it to file in small claims court. The guy called me back and tells me it wasn't packed properly so he was going to deny it (he never saw it). I told him if it was not packed properly they should not have accepted it. He was bragging about how he denies Guitar claims all the time from e-bay sellers. The guy was a real A hole. We went round and around and it finally ended up that he would take the uke for "inspection" and it would take at least six weeks. To make a long store short I fixed it myself and I never ever use USPS knowingly. I work with a guy that used to be at the USPS and he told me he saw co-works on more than one occasion take boxes marked Fragile and for a joke drop kick them across the loading dock. What a bunch of jerks.

I always ask for packing material, double boxing and UPS or Fed Ex shipping. Even if it costs more.

Here's how one guy avenged the destruction of his instrument:

I can imagine it now: "The USPS Went Postal On My Uke"

Wow, I am really astonished by the number of ukuleles being damaged in transit, at least by the poll numbers here.
I wonder what percentage of those were actually shipped damaged? I don't think a scratch for instance would be likely the result of a shipping mishap. Some retailers are probably not going to admit shipping slightly damaged goods. So much easier for them to say it got damaged in the shipping.
I am also surprised to see what size boxes a lot of ukes are shipped in, boxes that are barely bigger than the case. The boxes I ship in are way over sized and also have a corrugated liner for extra reinforcement. I ship all my work Via USPS Express mail insured. It's expensive but I've never had a problem. In the rare ocassion where it might be a day late, the shipping cost is totally refunded.
As far as ukes being "lost" in the mail, that is always a concern, especially in Hawaii. I don't use my business name on the return address and the large size of the box gives no indication of what's inside.

Boxes

Very funny Video!

As to Chuck's remark about the ovesized boxes, I found out (the hard way), that most shipping insurance doesn't pay if the distance between the outside of the box and the instrument is less than 2" - on all sides. (Or maybe that was just one of the excuses - see video above)

Top Bottom