Win a Toy Story Toy Ukulele! / You've Got a Friend in Me

Penguinofsorts

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Here's a contest for you! You have the wonderful opportunity to win for yourself your very own Toy Story Toy Ukulele!
Please see the youtube contest video explanation

Ukulele Underground Forum Toy Story Toy Ukulele Video-song contest.
1. You have 1 minute to play at least one verse of 'You've Got a Friend in Me' by Randy Newman

2. The ukulele must be the main focus of the video

3. Chords provided at http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs/070128.html - use these! You must sing the verses (at least one)...off tune is allowed!

4. Friendship, warmth and even acts of kindness will be key considerations in the judging process. You can use props, people, toys, whatever.

5. Ukuleles and contest provided by Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer of the www.ukuleleunderground.com forums. Judging is to be determined - but there will be at least 2...judging will be on a points/rating basis 1-100 and averaged.

6. First place gets their pick of either a wooden (laminate) toy story - Authentic Woody's Round Up Guitar (which is really an ukulele) or a plastic toy story Woody's Round Up Guitar (which is also really a ukulele). Second place gets the one that's left!

7. Both of these instruments are marketed as toys and their playability cannot be guaranteed.

8. Mention something like: This video is a submission to the Toy Story Toy Ukulele Contest from ukulele underground (make it a new one - not one you've already done!)

9. Post the video as a reply to the youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq-tzoodMg4and then post the link HERE

DEADLINE IS OCTOBER 31st at midnight CST

Good luck and have fun!!!

Last edited:
I love that song. Fits the ukulele perfectly.

–Lori

Thank you Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer. I think this is so fun.

I've been playing uke for just one week, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna try and do it with my 3 y.o. daughter. (Yes! I'm going for the judge's soft spot. I don't have any talent of my own to offer.)
So we are gonna need the whole 30 days to practice. I hope I can get up the nerve to record something.

Gambaremasu!

bobj
in Japan

Thank you Penguinofsorts and Suzukhammer. I think this is so fun.

I've been playing uke for just one week, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I'm gonna try and do it with my 3 y.o. daughter. (Yes! I'm going for the judge's soft spot. I don't have any talent of my own to offer.)
So we are gonna need the whole 30 days to practice. I hope I can get up the nerve to record something.

Gambaremasu!

bobj
in Japan

Bob, I put in a video for a contest after one month and it was not easy; but, the whole thing is to have fun.

I tried these chords and me at almost 3 months couldn't put the song together for about 5 minutes so I had to look at the song on youtube to remind me of how it sounds, then I was able to suss it out and the chords work.

Remember this. If you just want to sing that one line "You got a friend in me" then that is good. If you and your daughter improvise, so much the better. improvise on lyrics and chords. no problem.

Another thing to remember is chords don't need all the notes sounded. If its hard to reach a note but you can reach the other 3, maybe its good enough. just try.

And some of the chords given have easier alternatives up the neck. iF you know somebody who teaches music, maybe that might be fun to learn together.

Last edited:
I'm gonna give this a try because Miss D loves Toy Story and would love the prize (either of them!) and although I'm new to this, I'm getting there with the song, every day Darla asks me "have you learnt it yet?" and I say I'm still practising and she seems to think that if I want something as bad as she does, it'll just happen! Ha! If only it were that simple!

Thanks for putting on this contest! I think if I practise for a few more weeks I'll be able to do it!

I have a question. I realize that everyone is supposed to use the provided chord-chart for the song, but if we would rather sing in a different key, are we allowed to transpose those chords to a different key?

It sounds like this will be a really interesting contest!

Ok, I've pretty much got the song down. But for me, I can't sing and play at the same time! I just can't. It's like I need to focus on one thing at a time. If I focus on the singing, the playing with be way off; if I focus on the playing, the singing will be even more off... ahhhhhh

But I sooooo love this song. It's one of my favorites! I looked at this contest yesterday and practiced and practiced for about two hours and got all the chords down (Besides the pesky [B7][E6][Fdim][B7][Em][A7] part - I just can't figure out that rhythm for the life of me).

Great contest Penguinofsorts! I can't wait to see everybody's different takes on it.

cjhoyle - Sure, you can transpose if you like!
y2julia619 - I had lots of trouble with that part too! But it's amazing what playing the same part over and over and over will get you...

It looks like everyone is having fun so far! I hope everyone learns a bit from this contest! I know that I learned a LOT when I learned the song...there are a few difficult chord changes and some brand new chords for me!

Good luck, all!

Maybe the greatest lesson is establishing the rhythm of this song.

I suggest you call up a resource for face to face help. ANy friend you might know or.... establish a tutor resource.

I know exactly what people are talking about. It boils down to that age old adage - learn to read music if you can. Its language can get you there faster.

Okay I have a question about the time limit..does the video have to exactly 1 min total including saying it's for this contest and anything else and the song or is the limit only referring to the actual playing/singing of the song?

Sorry if it seems nitpicking, just want to be sure!

I would say that the minute will only apply to the playing/singing of the song...so don't plan on being judged or timed for the intro (saying who you are and the name of the contest), necessarily. That said, don't make your intro overly long...focus on the song, friendship and your uke! ;-)

Okay I have a question about the time limit..does the video have to exactly 1 min total including saying it's for this contest and anything else and the song or is the limit only referring to the actual playing/singing of the song?

Sorry if it seems nitpicking, just want to be sure!

The reason to try an limit the entries to 1 minute was to be able to download all the entries and make a mashup of the song.

It also allows for persons to just sing part of the song because most beginner's won't be able to learn one song the whole way through much less make a video of 2-3 minutes.

So like penguin said, its for fun. short and sweet and fun.

The reason to try an limit the entries to 1 minute was to be able to download all the entries and make a mashup of the song.

It also allows for persons to just sing part of the song because most beginner's won't be able to learn one song the whole way through much less make a video of 2-3 minutes.

So like penguin said, its for fun. short and sweet and fun.

So, you would like some people to choose the last half of the song? I found I could play the first two verses in 1 minute. The timing of the lyrics is more tricky on the second half of the song.

–Lori

I would say that the minute will only apply to the playing/singing of the song...so don't plan on being judged or timed for the intro (saying who you are and the name of the contest), necessarily. That said, don't make your intro overly long...focus on the song, friendship and your uke! ;-)

Will do, I can manage about two verses in the one minute slot, but didn't want to lose time for intro and such which will be very quick!

:) The time limit is just to keep things simple...not to make them difficult! If you are a few seconds over, don't worry about redoing the entire video! I can do about 2 verses in the 1 minute as well! Good luck!!

I have this song in my quiver already. It's a great song and sounds great on uke.

This sounds like a good idea for a contest but...

I'm just wondering why you would limit the entry to one minute?

The whole song is only about 2 minutes, my video is only 1:50 (recorded a year or so ago...)

JT

Sounds like you are all set. Just post it. Close enough... right? I am looking forward to seeing it. If you want, I will mentally chop off a few frames from the beginning and end.
No worries.

Oops! Sorry! I hope I didn't overstep. I'm not in charge. I'm just eager to see my fellow uker's contributions.
Sorry penguinofsorts and suzukhammer. You are conducting a wonderful contest.
Carry on :)

bobj,

Thanks for asking! The 1 minute time frame was more to make it kind of a quick fun contest (and well suited to beginners who are learning more difficult chord changes).

Provine's video above is a great start to the competition, you can see how the 1 minute restriction actually works for this type of theme!

Thanks for starting us off, Provine!

Keep them coming, I'm excited to see what you come up with!!

Top Bottom