Thread: Taj Mahal playing uke?

Default Taj Mahal playing uke?

Check out this photo, it looks to me like he's playing a uke, maybe with a double course of C strings. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks,

Doug

If my memory serves me correctly Pat Crockett is the guy's name that plays ukulele in Taj's band, on The New Hula Blues and the like... Taj lived on Kauai for a number of years. I am sure he has picked up an ukulele from time to time. That's about all the light I can shed on the picture.

Take care,
    Thomas

It's definitely a uke. Some type of Lanikai. My concert has the same inlays on the bridge and fretboard. Other than that info, I know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougf View Post
    Check out this photo, Anybody know anything about this?

I know I dig that hat!
    cletus

I saw Taj at the Blues and Brews festival in Telluride Colorado in '01 (before I had a reason to notice ukuleles), and I am pretty sure he played one on a few tunes. He was really great, but mostly at that point I was trying to stay warm until James Brown came on!
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

He plays uke on a few tunes from Maestro, his most recent album. Also check out Taj Mahal and the Hula Blues Band, which has some really neat songs.

It looks like my Lanikai

Yea he bought a CK6E from us a while back. I haven't seen this pic though. You can tell its ours from the split oval inlay on the fingerboard.
    Lanikai Makes Me Happy!

I saw Taj last night. Great show and he was wielding an 8 string Kala in addition to a resonator guitar (his work horse) and a 5 string banjo. He played them all quite well.

Thread Information