Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My bridge broke :(

Default My bridge broke :(

I was going to practice today, but I found my poor ukulele broken. During the night my bridge fell off. I'm so upset! I took it back to the music store and they are going to fix it for free! Still, I'm not quite sure how it broke. I've been using a tuner, and trying real hard not to tune the strings too tight.

I have a Hilo Saprano that is a cheapie. $50. Are bridges all the same on all ukulele's, or does it depend on the make and model?

I guess this would be a good reason to invest in another one, eh?

Dang! Sometimes the tension of the strings is just too much on the bridge, especially if the ukulele isn't the highest quality. Even the cheap ukuleles I've had though have never experienced that problem though. I'm not sure there's a way to prevent this because you want to make sure you're in tune. That's nice though that they'd fix it for free. Are you tuning to standard tuning (GCEA)?
    Hey! My name is Brett.

I created a free ukulele lesson book Your First Ukulele Lesson and Then Some and an Ultimate Guide to Learning to Play Ukulele.

Check out my other ukulele lessons too.

Quote Originally Posted by savethecheerleader View Post
    Dang! Sometimes the tension of the strings is just too much on the bridge, especially if the ukulele isn't the highest quality. Even the cheap ukuleles I've had though have never experienced that problem though. I'm not sure there's a way to prevent this because you want to make sure you're in tune. That's nice though that they'd fix it for free. Are you tuning to standard tuning (GCEA)?
    Yes, I'm tuning to standard tuning and using a clip digital tuner. They guy at the store even said he was surprised it broke off, so I'm not sure what I did wrong? Yea, they were not hesitant about fixing it. It's going to take a couple days though.

Aloha Miss Michele,
    I have 20 year old Hilo, and a newer one about 25 year old one and they are holding up well....you never know
    with these entry level ukes....the manufacture consistancy quality control level....maybe not enough glue...never
    can tell unless I look at it...I would ask for another uke if it was me..if they reglue it even a little slightly off, it may sound
    really terrible....make sure you test it out there for intonation when you receive it before accepting it.... Good Luck!! MM Stan..
    Last edited by mm stan; 09-29-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Miss Michelle, this is nothing uncommon, and you didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes, especially with less expensive ukuleles, the bridge is not glued as securely as it should be. Normal string tension can then cause the bridge to pull off. Luckily, your dealer is willing to do the repair, and soon you should be good to go....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

I actually had this happen with my FIRST Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. I had had it for about a week. I played it before bed one night, then got up really early the next day. It was my day off, the wife was out of town, and I was going to drag out all my ukes and set them up in the living room and just drink coffee and play and admire them all (anyone else ever do that? Or is it just me?).... I opened the Mainland's case and the bridge had pulled off. I emailed Mike at Mainland right away, and he emailed back about an hour later (Sunday morning, Memorial Day weekend- how's THAT for customer service?). Tuesday (the first day after the holiday) they sent me out another one, no questions asked. He said that sometimes (rarely) the glue doesn't get set up enough and when the bridge is put under tension it comes off. I wouldn't think that would be a real common problem with ANY brand of uke, but that it could probably happen to anyone now and then. I'm glad the shop is taking care of yours for you. I was very impressed with Mainland's response, and btw, I've had no trouble at all with the replacement.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    I actually had this happen with my FIRST Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple. I had had it for about a week. I played it before bed one night, then got up really early the next day. It was my day off, the wife was out of town, and I was going to drag out all my ukes and set them up in the living room and just drink coffee and play and admire them all (anyone else ever do that? Or is it just me?).....
    Not just you, I try to check and at least tune all my ukes whenever I fill the humidifiers. It cheers me up just to look at them!

I don't think you did anything wrong either. It is just something that happens sometimes. I had it happened to me, and the manufacturer fixed it free of charge. It has been fine ever since. Mine wasn't entry level but maybe one step above that.

–Lori

Don't sweat it they will fix it and it will be better than new. Enjoy your uke!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tarman View Post
    It was my day off, the wife was out of town, and I was going to drag out all my ukes and set them up in the living room and just drink coffee and play and admire them all (anyone else ever do that? Or is it just me?)....
    And I thought I was just about the only one to do that.... I do exactly that, admittedly rather often...

Anyways, maybe after repair and if the intonation is good, chances are the bridge will be secure for good and the uke just as good if not better. And then Miss Michelle you'll get UAS and.....
    Last edited by UkÚDan; 09-29-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: because I'm a certified klutz.

Thread Information